NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Buffum Filly First VA-Certified Bonus Earner

• Journalists

Maryland-bred juvenile filly No Refunds (Buffum) became the first horse to earn her owners a bonus as part of the Virginia-Certified Residency Program when she broke her maiden at Laurel Park on Saturday. The program rewards winners of non-Virginia restricted races at Mid-Atlantic racetracks (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Delaware) with 25% purse bonuses after they have maintained residency in the state of Virginia for any consecutive six-month period prior to Dec. 31 of their 2-year-old year. No Refunds, who is trained by John Salzman, Jr. on behalf of Bird Mobberley, was sent to Stephanie Nixon’s Horseshoe Hill Farm in Ashland, Virginia last July in order to become eligible for the program. “They normally would send horses in September or October but because of the new program, they sent them earlier,” noted Nixon. “I’ve been breaking horses for the Salzmans for the last 15 years. They are my main client and beyond that, we’re just good friends. Their business over the years allowed me to build a new barn at the farm.”

View the full article