NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Loaded Field Set For Belmont Oaks

• Journalists

A group of 10 talented sophomore fillies are scheduled to line up Saturday for a salty renewal of the $1,000,000 GI Belmont Oaks. La Signare (Fr) (Siyouni {Fr}), Significant Form (Creative Cause) and Mighty Scarlett (Scat Daddy) finished one-two-three in the GIII Wonder Again S. June 7, which is considered the local prep for this event. Breaking her maiden in France, La Signare was privately purchased and transferred to Brian Lynch, finishing second to the reopposing Toinette (Scat Daddy) in her debut for that barn at Keeneland Apr. 11 prior to her front-running upset score in the Wonder Again.

“We’ll see what the pace scenario is,” Lynch said. “If there’s no pace, I don’t think we’ll try and get too creative. We’ll let her do her thing again. I don’t know if they’ll let her get away with pedestrian fractions like she got away with in the first half [in the Wonder Again]. But if there’s a bit more pace, I wouldn’t be surprised if she can sit off of them a little bit anyway.”

Victress of last term’s GIII Ms Grillo S., Significant Form captured the Memories of Silver S. Apr. 22 and was second every step of the way as the favorite in the Wonder Again. Stablemate Mighty Scarlett broke her maiden at second asking at Keeneland Apr. 27 prior to her third-place effort last out. Both fillies are conditioned by two-time Eclipse winner Chad Brown, who won three of the last four renewals of this event since the name was changed from the Garden City to the Belmont Oaks in 2014. He also won the last two editions of this test under its previous name in 2012 and 2013.

“They both ran well [in the Wonder Again],” Brown said. “It was a bit disappointing for Significant Form as the favorite. She had every chance to win turning for home and it just wasn’t her day. I’m confident given the way she’s training that she can rebound off that effort.”

Winner of three of her four races, the Neil Drysdale-trained Toinette came flying late to take down Brown’s previously undefeated GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf winner Rushing Fall (More Than Ready) last time in Churchill Downs’ GIII Edgewood S. May 4.

The always dangerous Aidan O-Brien ships in Athena (Ire) (Camelot {GB}) for a shot at Grade I glory. Breaking her maiden two back at Fairyhouse May 31, the Coolmore runner was fourth in the G2 Ribblesdale S. at Royal Ascot June 21 and returned on short rest to complete the trifecta in the Curragh’s G1 Pretty Polly S. just six days ago.

Fellow European invader Caple Temptress (Ire) (Lope de Vega {Ire}) already has a top-level win in North American on her resume, having captured the GI Natalma S. at Woodbine Sept. 17. Seventh to Rushing Fall in the Breeders’ Cup, the Marco Botti pupil was fourth last time in the G1 Poule d’Essai des Pouliches May 13.

Thewayiam (Fr) (Thewayyouare) has been quite successful since coming to America last year, winning the Ginger Brew S. Jan. 6, GIII Sweetest Chant S. Feb. 3 and GIII Herecomesthebride S. Mar. 3. Runner-up to Rushing Fall in the GII Appalachian S. at Keeneland Apr. 8, the Graham Motion trainee missed by a neck last time in the Penn Oaks June 2.

“She’s a filly who gives you confidence because it always seems like she runs her race,” Motion said. “Her form has been pretty good. I think she’ll lay a little closer going a mile and a quarter. She’s going to put herself in the race.”

Also entered are GII Honeymoon S. winner Paved (Quality Road), GIII Providencia S. upsetter Fatale Bere (Fr) (Pedro the Great) and Chipolata (Fr) (Muhtathir {GB}), a two-time winner in France who is making her Stateside debut here for Christophe Clement.

View the full article