NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Analyze It & Catholic Boy Rematch in Belmont Derby

• Journalists

‘TDN Rising Star’ Analyze It (Point of Entry) looks to return to winning ways in Saturday’s $1,000,000 Belmont Derby after losing his perfect record by a neck to Catholic Boy (More Than Ready) last time in Belmont’s GIII Pennine Ridge S. June 2. A dazzling debut winner in Elmont in October, Analyze It followed suit with decisive victories in the GIII Cecil B. Demille S. at Del Mar Nov. 26 and the GIII Translyvania S. at Keeneland Apr. 6. Stalking Catholic Boy throughout the early stages of the Pennine Ridge, the bay overtook his rival in the stretch and attempted to shake loose, but Catholic Boy determinedly re-rallied to post a narrow upset.

“I thought he ran into a really good horse in Catholic Boy in the Pennine Ridge,” Chad Brown told the NYRA notes team. “He ran very well. Our horse had no excuse. He might’ve had a little time between races where I could’ve had him a little better. It’s not an excuse, he had every chance to win, but I believe this horse can move forward now that he has some recent fitness in him.”

Winner of the grassy GIII With Anticipation S. last term, Catholic Boy spent the first half of his sophomore season on the dirt after closing out 2017 with a dominant score in the GII Remsen S. on the Aqueduct main track in December. Runner-up in the GIII Sam F. Davis S., the Jonathan Thomas pupil finished a lackluster fourth in the GI Florida Derby Mar. 31, after which he was successfully switched back to the turf in the Pennine Ridge.

“We were really proud of his effort,” said Thomas. “Javier [Castellano] was able to execute a plan we had put together in the paddock at the last minute, and we were thrilled with the result. Analyze It is a nice horse. Obviously, it was an oddly run race, and the verdict is still out on where [Catholic Boy] will be positioned [in the Belmont Derby]. He’s a mentally relaxed horse and everything we see from him in the mornings and afternoons makes me think he’ll appreciate the distance.”

Hawkish (Artie Schiller) was tabbed a ‘TDN Rising Star’ after making an eye-catching late run to graduate in his career bow at Gulfstream Jan. 6. Fourth next out to the re-oppposing Maraud (Blame) in the GIII Palm Beach S. Mar. 3, the gelding returned to winning ways in an Apr. 15 Aqueduct optional claimer and charged home a three-length victor in last time in the June 2 GII Penn Mile, which has produced three Grade I winners in its six years in existence, including Belmont Derby hero Force the Pass (Speightstown) and GI Belmont Oaks heroine Catch a Glimpse (City Zip).

“We know he’s a top miler and that’s the unknown factor here, if he can get the mile and a quarter, but we’ll find out,” trainer Jimmy Toner said. “He gallops a mile and a half every day. I think the key is being rateable. If he isn’t too aggressive early and settles in, I think you’re okay. So far, he’s shown that he’s okay with everything.”

International superstar Aidan O’Brien saddles a strong contender in Hunting Horn (Ire) (Camelot {GB}). Third in both the G3 Classic Trial Apr. 27 and the G3 Vase S. May 9, the Coolmore colorbearer checked in sixth in the G1 Prix du Jockey Club June 3 and returned to winning ways with a 4 1/2-length success in the G3 Hampton Court S. at Royal Ascot June 21.

The Pia Brandt-trained Kingstar (Fr) (Evasive {GB}) also makes his Stateside debut in this test. A first-out winner at Chantilly in September, the chestnut was second in the G3 Prix de Conde S. there Oct. 7 and won a Longchamp test last time June 2.

Another runner of interest is GIII Southwest S. and GIII Stonestreet Lexington S. winner My Boy Jack (Creative Cause), who gets back on turf for the first time since finishing seventh in the GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. The dark bay broke his maiden on the lawn last year and won the grassy Zuma Beach S. at Santa Anita in October.

View the full article