NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

‘Again’ Gives Snaith Durban July

• Journalists

On the eve of being crowned champion trainer for the second time, Justin Snaith added another July victory to his already illustrious resume, as Do It Again (SAf) (Twice Over{GB}) and Anton Marcus dominated the R4.25-million G1 Vodacom Durban July (2200m), leading home stable companions Made To Conquer (SAf) (Dynasty{SAf}) and Elusive Silva (SAf) (Silvano {Ger}). It was a memorable night for Marcus, as he celebrated his fifth July victory, setting a new record in the process.

The race was run at a pedestrian pace down the back straight with White River (SAf) (Trippi) and Made To Conquer the reluctant leaders. Corne Orffer on White River desperately tried to restraint the headstrong gelding, while Jeff Lloyd, riding in his final July on Made To Conquer, also attempted to be anywhere but in the lead. Stuck behind horses and with African Night Sky (SAf) (Dynasty {SAf}) pulling hard, Grant van Niekerk decided it was time to be bold and he sent the gelding around the field and into the lead.

Turning for home the field fanned out across the narrow track and it was race on. Van Niekerk on African Night Sky clung briefly to the lead, but Lloyd, determined to capture an elusive July victory after 26 attempts, set off for home on the lightly weighted Made To Conquer. Marcus, positioned in about sixth rounding the turn, quietly started moving Do It Again forward as the field straightened out. With four July victories behind his name, Marcus knows exactly what it takes to win the race and with 200m left to go and daylight ahead of him, he sent Do It Again up to contest the lead with Made To Conquer.

The battle was brief, as Do It Again, in the yellow silks with blue epaulettes of Bernard Kantor, stuck his head in front and with the gap gradually increasing, Made To Conquer was forced to accept defeat. With both horses well clear of the field, Marcus had plenty of time to salute the crowd as he crossed the line 1 1/4 lengths in front. Elusive Silva and Bernard Fayd’Herbe finished in third, 4 1/4 lengths back, with Majestic Mambo (SAf) (Mambo In Seattle) in fourth a further 1 1/4 lengths back, while African Night Sky could only manage fifth.

Smiling from ear to ear, Marcus could not contain his delight and said, “I rode him in trackwork and he just felt amazing. It has been a great team effort. Fortunately I had a trouble-free passage and he was nice and relaxed during the race. When I saw African Night Sky pulling hard, it gave me a lot of confidence and with 200m left to go knew I had the race in the bag.”

Bred by Kevin Sommerville and Robin Bruss, Do It Again, is jointly owned by Bernard Kantor, Jack Mitchell and Nick Jonsson after selling for R1.1 million at the Bloodstock South Africa National Yearling Sale in 2016. For Kantor, celebrating his first ever July victory, the moment was extra special as he was instrumental in importing Twice Over to South Africa. “It was a very emotional victory,” said Kantor. “Sir Henry Cecil held him in high regard and for him to produce a July winner in his first crop is immensely exciting.”

Part owner Nick Jonsson was also having the day of his life as joint owner of both Do It Again and Made To Conquer. “It was amazing, we were reasonably confident as they were both very well, but you never expect to win a July, never mind running one-two,” said Jonsson.

Snaith, winning his third July, pointed out that he had finally managed to win the race outright. “My first win was a dead-heat, my second victory was decided in the boardroom, so I had to make sure that I won this one properly. I guess running one-two-three qualifies,” he quipped.

For many, the grooms’ strike at the Summerveld Training Centre on Wednesday was a big headache, for Snaith however it brought about a revelation. “With no staff I had to ride my horses myself and when I worked Do It Again, I just knew.” He did indeed.

Off the mark at Kenilworth at first asking last July, Do It Again added a handicap there on Sept. 9, before running third in the G2 Selangor Cup on Nov. 18. Unplaced in the G1 Cape Guineas in mid-December, the gelding was only 1 3/4 lengths short of a Grade 1 win when second in the G1 Investec Cape Derby in January and, after a three-month spell, made his presence felt with a 1 1/4-length victory in the G2 Daisy Guineas at Greyville on May 4. He was fourth in the G1 Daily News 2000 there on June 2.

Pedigree Notes…

Do It Again is the fourth black-type winner and second Grade 1 winner for his sire, MG1SW and English highweight Twice Over (GB), who raced in the Juddmonte colours for Sir Henry Cecil. He is out of the three-time Grade 3 victress Sweet Virginia (SAf), and is a half-brother to South African SW and Hong Kong dual Group 3 winner Strongman (SAf) (Stronghold {GB}) and South African GSP Vilakazi (SAf) (Visionaire). Under the third dam are MG1SW Mill Hill (SAf) (Royal Perogative {GB}) and South African Champion Older Mare and MG1SW Dancewiththedevil (SAf) (Modus Vivendi {GB}).

Saturday, Greyville, South Africa
VODACOM DURBAN JULY-G1, R4,250,000, Greyville, 7-7, 3yo/up, 11fT, 2:15.20, gd.
1–DO IT AGAIN (SAF), 119, g, 3, by Twice Over (GB)
1st Dam: Sweet Virginia (SAf), by Casey Tibbs (Ire)
2nd Dam: Millie Bovana (SAf), by Royal Prerogative (GB)
3rd Dam: Modern Millie (SAf), by Oligarchy
1ST GRADE 1 WIN. (R1,100,000 Ylg ’16 BSAAPR). O-N Jonsson,
B Kantor & W J C Mitchell; B-Northfields Stud (Pty) Ltd (SAF);
T-Justin Snaith; J-Anton Marcus. R2,500,000. Lifetime Record:
8-4-1-1, R3,307,500. *1/2 to Strongman (SAf) (Stronghold
{GB}), SW-SAf, MGSW-HK, $1,396,999; and Vilakazi (Saf)
(Visionaire), GSP-SAf. Werk Nick Rating: C+. Click for the
   eNicks report & 5-cross pedigree.
2–Made To Conquer (SAf), 117, g, 4, Dynasty (Saf)–Festive
Occasion (SAf), by Casey Tibbs (Ire). O-E A Braun, C T Crowe &
N Jonsson; B-M de Broglio (SAF); T-Justin Snaith. R800,000.
3–Elusive Silva (SAf), 125, g, 5, Silvano (Ger)–Esprit (SAf), by
Fort Wood. (R375,000 Ylg ’14 CAPJAN). O-E G Bouwer, E A
Braun, P S Loomes, Jonathan Snaith, K P Truter & Mrs Jane
Truter; B-Nutfield Stud (SAF); T-Justin Snaith. R400,000.
Margins: 1 1/4, 3 3/4, 1 1/4. Odds: 9.00, 7.75, 14.00.
Also Ran: Majestic Mambo (SAf), African Night Sky (SAf), Rocket Countdown (SAf), Fiorella (SAf), Tilbury Fort (SAf), Coral Fever (SAf), Liege (SAf), Dark Moon Rising (SAf), Matador Man (SAf), Secret Potion (SAf), Yakeen (Aus), Star Express (SAf), White River (SAf), Gold Standard (SAf), Abashiri (SAf). Scratched: Pack Leader (SAf), Crowd Pleaser (SAf).
Click for the Racing Post chart or the free Equineline.com catalogue-style pedigree. Video.

View the full article