NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Hager Launches Taproot Bloodstock

• Journalists

Phil Hager, who has worked with stallion seasons, bloodstock services and sales recruitment at Crestwood Farm since 2011, has announced he will be launching Taproot Bloodstock, a full-service bloodstock agency based in Lexington, while still maintaining ties to the McLean family operation.

“When I first came to Crestwood, it was mostly just selling stallion seasons,” explained Hager. “Then I think they saw I did well picking out horses and I helped with mares and we did some pinhooking and helped buy some graded stakes winners for some of the clients. I’ve built up the bloodstock business enough that I didn’t feel like it was right to spend part of my time on that and part of my time on seasons. I am probably more passionate about building the bloodstock business, so I wanted to devote more time to that.”

Hager, a third-generation horseman, grew up on his parents’ Idle Hour Farm in Paris, Kentucky and bred his first stakes winner when he was 17. Prior to joining Crestwood, he served stints with trainer Bill Mott, bloodstock agent David Ingordo, and Chris Cahill DVM CVA, as well as at Gainesway, Fasig-Tipton and Eaton Sales. It was Ingordo who led him to Crestwood eight years ago.

“David helped to set me up with Crestwood after he went to Lane’s End,” Hager said. “It was a good fit. My dad knew Crestwood because he bred there. We are very compatible.”

Hager added, “The McLeans are very hands-on with the horses, they have sound business minds, and above all they are great influences as people. I am very proud of what we have accomplished as a team over the last eight years, and I am truly pleased to have Crestwood’s blessing as I launch this new venture.”

Among the graded stakes winners Hager was part of purchasing for Crestwood clients are Grade III winners Rusty Slipper and Munirah. He was also instrumental in Crestwood landing and selling seasons to stallions like Grade I winners Get Stormy and Texas Red. As he goes out on his own as a bloodstock agent, Hager still plans to work with Crestwood.

“I’m still going to be providing services to Crestwood,” he said. “I’m still going to be working with them and I’ll probably still be working out of the office here at Crestwood. So it’s not a total split.”

Hager clearly values the relationships he has made and looks forward to seeing his clients in the winner’s circle.

“I always tell owners, I take it really seriously,” Hager said. “If the horse does well, it’s great, but I also always get upset if a horse doesn’t pan out for people. I take it personally. You want to do well for your clients. Most of my clients become personal friends. Obviously, you are going to lose a few clients here and there, but most of them have stayed with me or have left and come back. The long-term relationship is something I take pretty seriously.”

Crestwood’s Pope McLean, Jr. agreed Hager has built a loyal base of clients.

“Phil’s ability and integrity have enabled him to steadily build his bloodstock business–routinely working with some of the biggest operations in our industry–while simultaneously keeping close the interests and confidence of his clients,” he said.

Hager is eager to get started at the upcoming Fasig-Tipton July sale.

“Hopefully we’ll get some bought in July,” he said.

View the full article