NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

July Course Test Run For Redkirk Warrior

• Journalists

Newmarket, UK—Regan Bayliss arrived in Newmarket from Belmont Park on Sunday evening in time to partner three-time Australian Group 1 winner Redkirk Warrior (GB) (Notnowcato {GB}) in a strong piece of work over five furlongs of the July Course on Monday morning.

For the 21-year-old jockey it was a first taster of a European racecourse and the experience will have been much appreciated ahead of the star sprinter’s appearance in Saturday’s G1 Darley July Cup.

Bayliss, who has been in the saddle for all three of Redkirk Warrior’s top-level wins at Flemington, was replaced by Frankie Dettori in the G1 Diamond Jubilee S., in which the 7-year-old finished a disappointing 10th of the 12 runners.

“It’s a bit different,” said Bayliss of Newmarket’s famously undulating straight course.

“He was as good as gold on that track for the first time. Obviously you have to try to keep nice and balanced as there’s quite a steep dip and then you kick out of it, but he seemed to handle it very well and is in good order.”

The rider continued, “He’s a lovely horse to ride and has a great temperament. I’m very excited to be riding him on Saturday. He was very competitive at the start of this preparation and he beat Merchant Navy [in the G1 Newmarket H.] so he has some very good form with good horses. If he brings his A-game he’ll be right up with them.

“I’m very lucky to find a horse this good so early in my career. I’ve won three Group 1 races on him and it’s a pleasure to be overseas for such a prestigious day in the UK calendar.”

Ben Hayes, who co-trains Redkirk Warrior with his father David and cousin Tom Dabernig, has overseen the gelding’s training since his arrival in Newmarket in early June and was pleased with the morning outing to the other side of town.

“I’m really happy. He looked like he handled it really well. We didn’t ask him to do much—he just cantered off from the five [furlongs] and worked home the last two,” Hayes said.

“We were a bit disappointed with his run at Ascot. We thought he might have broken down because he ran so badly but we’ve checked him all over and there’s nothing wrong with him. We’ve just put it down to a bad day but he’s had more time to settle in now and he’s come out of the run well.

“At Ascot, Merchant Navy won and that’s [Redkirk Warrior’s] form in Australia so that tells me that he’s definitely good enough to win over here.”

View the full article