NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Brando in Good Nick for July Cup

• Journalists

G1 Prix Maurice de Gheest hero Brando (GB) (Pivotal {GB}) is in good form ahead of an intended start in the July 14 G1 Darley July Cup at Newmarket. The Kevin Ryan trainee is unbeaten over the Rowley Mile, and was runner up in the G2 Duke of York S. on May 16. He was a last out fourth in the G2 Greenlands S. in Ireland behind the newly retired G1 Diamond Jubilee S. victor Merchant Navy (Aus) (Fastnet Rock {Aus}) on May 26.

“I have been training Brando especially for the Darley July Cup and he is in great form,” Ryan told the Newmarket notes team.

“I don’t know what it is about Newmarket but he seems to love the place, he must like running downhill. He is a big heavy-topped horse yet is very well-balanced and seems to relish running down into the dip–he wasn’t beaten very far in this race last year. It was a difficult decision to skip Royal Ascot, but I wanted him to run in the Darley July Cup and then defend his Prix Maurice de Gheest title and I didn’t think it would be fair on him to go to Ascot as well. You can’t run in all these championship races.”

View the full article