Bit Of A Yarn

Lofty ambitions for promising filly

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

By Joshua Smith, Harness News Desk

Jeremy Young has lofty ambitions for unbeaten filly Lady of the Light.

The South Auckland trainer has put a circle around the Group One Dunstan Horsefeeds Sires’ Stakes Fillies Final at Alexandra Park on New Year’s Eve for the filly and he thinks she will be highly competitive in the feature race.

The daughter of Bettor’s Delight remains undefeated in her three starts to date and Young is hoping that will continue ahead of her Group One target.

He has mapped out a plan over the coming months with his filly, with the first of those being the Caduceus Club $20K 2YO Fillies Mobile Pace (1700m) at Alexandra Park on Friday.

“She has had two weeks since her last run and her work has been good,” Young said.

“I know she has got an outside draw (7) but she should go a good race, there are no excuses for her.”

Following Friday’s assignment, Young is planning to give her two further races over the next month before assessing if she needs one final hit-out ahead of the Dunstan Final.

“There is a heat for the Final in two weeks, and then two weeks after that is another heat, so it works out perfectly,” Young said.

“Mapping into the 31st there isn’t really anything forecast for her (after that), so I will figure out if we need a race in-between. You don’t want to be going up against the older ones too many times heading into a race like that.”

Young said it is exciting to have the exciting filly in his barn and he is looking forward to taking on southern raiders next month.

“You always try and get these type of horses, that is what you are after, they are hard to come by. She has done everything that has been asked of her so far,” he said.

“She is going to meet those good South Island horses when they come up for Dunstan Final on the 31st.

“She is a big horse and she is only going to get better. It is very exciting and I am looking forward to taking on the likes of True Fantasy.”

Meanwhile, stablemate Betterthandiva will make her debut in the Lincoln Farms Mobile Pace (2200m) on Friday after winning her 2050m trial last month.

“She has been working up nicely and she has got a good draw (1),” Young said.

“She was a little bit in season last week, and she has come back out of that, but I think she will need the run.

“She is well and truly ready fitness-wise but the first time at the Park is the main concern with her.”

May Delight will round out Young’s trio of runners on Friday when she lines-up in the Harness Millions Sat 12 Feb At Alexandra Park Mobile Pace (2200m).

“She has improved in her last two runs. I am happy with her,” Young said.

“She put in a good run last week and there is no reason why she shouldn’t go well again this week.

“With a bit of luck, she will be right amongst it.

View the full article