NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Goodwood Calling Soldier’s

• Journalists

Lambourn based Archie Watson has made giant strides as a trainer in a short period of time and having saddled his first Royal Ascot winner last month with Soldier’s Call (GB) (Showcasing {GB}), Watson is hoping the same horse can provide him with a first Glorious Goodwood success. Watson is planning to run the Steve Parkin owned winner of the Listed Windsor Castle S. at the G3 Molecomb S. at Goodwood Aug. 1. “His work’s been very good since Ascot and I think a quick five at Goodwood on fast ground will suit him down to the ground. I hope he can run a very big race,” Watson said. The trainer has big plans for the 85,000 gns yearling purchase and should he continue his winning ways in Sussex a trip north to Yorkshire could then be on the cards. “We’ll see how he does there, but it’s an idea we’ve got if he was to win a Molecomb he’s in the [G1] Nunthorpe and it’s a lot of weight the two-year-olds receive. The end-of-season target will be the new Breeders’ Cup race [Juvenile Turf Sprint], so he’ll have two or three more runs this year. I wouldn’t be in a rush to step him up in trip to six furlongs because he’s very quick,” Watson added.

View the full article