Bit Of A Yarn

Red Ocean bounces back to best form

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Trainer Shane Baertschiger is plotting a path towards the Singapore Derby (1800m) for Red Ocean (NZ) (Ocean Park) following the bold frontrunner’s quick return to winning ways in the $70,000 Kranji Stakes C race over 1600m on Saturday.

The Singapore feature over 1800m, to be staged this year on July 17, was a bit of a no-brainer as the ultimate goal for the Ocean Park four-year-old after his three all-the-way wins over 1400m last year, especially the last one in Class 4 company on November 6, visually the more impressive in the way he bolted up by more than five lengths.

Red Ocean, however, blotted his copybook at his last start in a Kranji Stakes B race over 1600m where, in a small field, he ended up in no man’s land four wide throughout before he eventually knocked up to finish a long last.

Baertschiger was prepared to forget he ran that day, as did punters as evidenced by his short quote as the $9 favourite, even if stablemate King’s Command’s (NZ) (Tavistock) withdrawal due to colic reduced the field to only five runners – often a graveyard to top picks.

Unlike his last-start faux pas, Red Ocean was the only speed influence this time, not to mention he also drew better in barrier two, whereas he had a gaggle of on-speedsters kicking up on his inside from his wide alley at his last start, that never gave him a chance of coming across or tucking in for cover.

As expected, the lead was secured easily on Saturday, after which jockey Matthew Kellady slammed on the brakes and Red Ocean duly dropped his head and put his rivals to sleep.

Red Ocean easily shook Vittoria Perfetta (Zoustar) off upon straightening, and under hands and heels urgings, except for a few late taps as a reminder, he never faltered. The winning margin was 2 ¼ lengths.

“He runs his best races when he bowls along in front. Today, he jumped straight to the front and the race was pretty much all over midway,” said Baertschiger.

“At his last start, things just didn’t go his way, and I was confident he could bounce back today. He had the race won from a long way.

“I think he still has got some improvement in him. I’ll probably give him a month off now.

“He’s my Derby horse and I’ll now get him ready for that race.”

In nine starts, Red Ocean has now chalked up a smart record of four wins for more than $150,000 in prizemoney for the MA Racing & Hi Vis Stable.

Red Ocean is out of the Danasinga mare Bird and is the younger half-brother to former good Singapore galloper Preditor (NZ) (Savabeel) who won five races including the Jumbo Jet Trophy (1400m)

View the full article