NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Atzeni Gets Dettori Rides

• Journalists

Andrea Atzeni has picked up the rides aboard the John Gosden-trained Stradivarius (Ire) (Sea The Stars {Ire}) and Without Parole (GB) (Frankel {GB}) in the G1 Goodwood Cup and G1 Sussex S., respectively, at Glorious Goodwood next week, with regular rider Frankie Dettori sidelined through suspension.

“Obviously it’s a shame for Frankie,” Atzeni said. “He got the ban reduced to six days, but he’s going to miss the rides on these two horses and I was lucky enough to get the call.”

Atzeni was aboard Stradivarius when he won last year’s Goodwood Cup, as well as the G2 Queen’s Vase at Royal Ascot, so he is plenty familiar with the 4-year-old, but he got his first feel for the 3-year-old G1 St James’s Palace S. winner Without Parole on the Newmarket gallops on Wednesday.

“The first I knew about Without Parole was when I got the call last night,” the Italian said. “He’s been very impressive, he’s unbeaten and he looks the one to beat next week. I sat on him this morning and he’s a good-moving horse. He’s by Frankel and he’s probably one of the most laid-back sons of Frankel I’ve ridden. He’s a big, strong horse and I’m delighted to get the ride on him.”

View the full article