NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Vorster special helps Belle Plaisir land the R A Lee Stakes

• Journalists
Barend-500x280.jpgBarend.jpgBarend Vorster was all smiles following his win aboard Belle Plaisir in the R A Lee Stakes

Barend Vorster was always comfortable near the rail, and that intuition paid off when he won from the inside on Belle Plaisir in the $152,250 RA Lee Stakes (1600m) at Morphettville.

He also held his nerve when Struck By was going full bore and two lengths clear after the turn.

2022 R A Lee Stakes Replay

That was also when eventual runner-up Cherry Tortoni launched his run on the outside for Patrick Payne.

But Vorster’s veteran judgment on the Tony and Calvin McEvoy mare was too good, the five-year-old prevailing on the line.

“I don’t feel like she was held up much. I was very confident where I was knowing that the horse in front of me was the one who was going to take me all the way,” Vorster told Racing.com.

“So whichever run he chose I was always going to take the opposite. And I was very happy to see when he elected to go to the outside, and I just took up the inside.

“Today she showed what sort of ability she’s got.”

More horse racing news

View the full article