Bit Of A Yarn

Addington 2nd June Review.

R1....Winner Art Lincoln was well driven to just hold on. Runner up Shell Shock kept giving after a hard run and a win must come soon. The biggest disappointment of the race was the $2.80 runner Lone Wolf blowing to bits 100+ metres prior to the mobile start. Not a very pleasant way to welcome punters on track. I watched a race from Mohawk Park Canada recently where a horse was 100+ metres away from the field when the mobile arm pulled away and that runner was deemed not to have been given a fair start and were scratched. Why do we have mobile starts? Surely they are for punters as much as horses? Harness racing is good but not so good you can leave punters cold before the race even gets under way. Time for a review? 

R2...was a fascinating race to my eye. The two runners that got my attention were the winner The Present Maker trained by Anne-Marie and Jack Best and driven by Mark Jones paying $13.80 and the runner up and $4.20 fav Sigrid. I've watched both of these runners at the trials. Sigrid seems to be safe and well gaited and won a trial well enough to be a strong hope here. It was however The Present Maker I was most interested in. The Bests are very good with trotters and the combination with top driver Mark Jones said the horse is worthwhile. I watched him easily hold Sigrid in a trial so I felt there wouldn't be much between them on the tote. I was shocked to see The Present Maker go out paying three times as much. If he could get in front of Sigrid he'd be very hard to beat. I made a rare decision to wager on a crap meeting. The trifecta with second fav It's So Easy running solid for third was a tick under $600. This race again highlighted the importance of watching trials. Under and Over won the trot at Addington on the 20th May after very easily winning a trial leading up.

R3....Race run to suit the hot fav First Class and was confidently driven to win easily by Olivia Thornley. The other feature of the race for me was the again disappointing performance of the well fancied Arabian Blue. Had no hope last time driven for luck and shit it's self at the start here. A warning was placed. Tim Williams has driven the horse twice for two wins. Just saying.

R4...Fred Fletcher's team are going really well so no surprise to see Sunny Louis win. La Dama ran nicely and looks a next upper. Our Countdown looks ready to win also. 

R5...Sweet Belle won here putting up a brave effort after a hard last half. 

R6...was an ordinary race. Arizonawildcat was well driven by John Dunn to win. 

R7..Fred Fletcher at it again. This time with Mikey Maguire. well driven but to be fair, several other drivers virtually gifted Sam the win.

R8...was a lead-trail winner and runner up with Kikorangi Blue and Dancing Desire. Disappointment was No Matter Wat. She goes well but didn't give a yelp here.

R9....interesting trot. Kahress was nice after Repeat Pat looked the winner 400 out. Must admit I was a bit disappointed in I Dream of Jennie. I've seen Mark Purdon drive this mare patiently and win with her twice. She was 4 back with a round and a half to go when Jo took her out to sit outside Repeat Pat. She didn't make a play for the top which wouldn't have been there anyway. She gave Kahress a cover ride home. She was beaten at the 400 but battled on well for fifth. If driven quietly she could just about win next up.

R10....Nothing race. Ardern's Sweetheart did enough to say she's worth a dollar next up.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, Walt said:

R3....Race run to suit the hot fav First Class and was confidently driven to win easily by Olivia Thornley. The other feature of the race for me was the again disappointing performance of the well fancied Arabian Blue. Had no hope last time driven for luck and shit it's self at the start here. A warning was placed. Tim Williams has driven the horse twice for two wins. Just saying.

Sits parked for Tim.....

R6TRACKSIDE DINING AT ADDINGTON MOBILE PACE 3YO+ R48-R53 1980m19:07

Stake:

$13,000

Track:

FAST

Weather:

OVERCAST
# Name Jockey/Driver/Trainer Win Place
11 Arabian Blue Tim Williams 3.00 1.50
3 Mossdale Mac Ben Hope (J)   8.10
2 Evangalist Robbie Close   2.70
Bet Type Runners Dividend
Quinella 3,11 99.20
Trifecta 11:3:2 806.70
First4 11:3:2:7 6,615.30
Double Concession 11/3 83.20
Double 11/11+ 29.60
Treble 11/11/11+ 446.80

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, Walt said:

Sits parked for Tim.....

R6TRACKSIDE DINING AT ADDINGTON MOBILE PACE 3YO+ R48-R53 1980m19:07

Stake:

$13,000

Track:

FAST

Weather:

OVERCAST
# Name Jockey/Driver/Trainer Win Place
11 Arabian Blue Tim Williams 3.00 1.50
3 Mossdale Mac Ben Hope (J)   8.10
2 Evangalist Robbie Close   2.70
Bet Type Runners Dividend
Quinella 3,11 99.20
Trifecta 11:3:2 806.70
First4 11:3:2:7 6,615.30
Double Concession 11/3 83.20
Double 11/11+ 29.60
Treble 11/11/11+ 446.80

Devon back on board today after Arabian Blue's commanding last start victory for Tim.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=CF846539-CA0D-498D-8F3C-9CF1226B4B7F&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE