NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Te Rapa/ Waverley

Newmarket

12 minutes ago, hesi said:

If you look at the video, the jockey hit Melody Belle 13 times in the last 100m

the jockey is S. Rusof and he has been fined before for excessive whip use. 

Following the running of race 10, Racing Rotorua 1560, an Information was filed pursuant to Rule 638(3)(b)(ii). The Informant, Mr Oatham, alleged that Mr Rusof used his whip excessively when riding YORKSHIRE DALES prior to the 100 metres.

Mr Rusof acknowledged that he understood the Rule and confirmed he admitted the breach.

Rule 638(3)(b)(ii) provides: A Rider shall not:

(ii) strike a horse with a whip in a manner or to an extent which is excessive

The “Guidelines With Respect to Acceptable Use of the Whip” provides:
Without affecting the generality of Rule 638(3)(b) a rider may be penalised if their whip use is outside of the following guidelines:

Inside the final 600 metres of any Race, official trial or jump-out a horse may be struck with the drawn whip up to five times after which the rider must cease their use of the whip for a minimum of five strides before striking the horse again with the drawn whip, with this restriction to apply prior to the final 100 metres. The whip may then be used at the rider’s discretion until the winning post is reached.

Prior to the final 600 metres of a race, official trial or jump-out the use of the drawn whip is acceptable if used in moderation and not continually.

Mr Oatham demonstrated the incident using the available video footage. He identified Mr Rusof and showed that he struck his mount 8 times prior to the 100 metres. He said that Mr Rusof paused his use of the whip for only 1 stride.

Mr Rusof accepted Mr Oatham’s interpretation of the incident and added that he misjudged the number of strikes.

Edited by FeelTheFear

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I thought a telling interview was with Rogie after his 3 year old filly won - he said the jockey told him before the race that he INTENDED to sit wide on the outer throughout the race to avoid the sand and dirt being thrown back in his and the horse's faces.  Rogie said he didn't like the plan but the jockey stuck to his intention and the filly won.  Rogie was philosophical about the jockey's tactics after the race but was close to being scathing about the state of track.  "What a way to have to ride a nice young horse because of the state of the track."

Isn't that what happens on an All Weather Track when it's wet?  Synthectically treated sand gets kicked into the faces of all those behind the leader?  I hope the Winston Memorial Tracks are turf based for Rogie's sake.

16 hours ago, Kopia said:

I meant to add...for one of the first times in history, I agree with Thommmass.....the rules should be amended to allow for a protest against a horse when it wins after a thrashing like this.

The problem is it was within the rules...

...you can bash it as many strides as you like in the last 100 as the rules state...

...just not above shoulder high..

...That was Trudy's suspension when she won the G2...as well as breaking the rules before the 100M...

I think you'll find this rule will change though....a number including myself have made submissions..

...the JCA said they "see no problem with allowing a protest" and they're confident they can adjudicate to a level where a relegation is possible...

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

...you can bash it as many strides as you like in the last 100 as the rules state...

...That was Trudy's suspension when she won the G2...as well as breaking the rules before the 100M...

I think you'll find this rule will change though....a number including myself have made submissions..

...the JCA said they "see no problem with allowing a protest" and they're confident they can adjudicate to a level where a relegation is possible...

Yes. That's the way to do it and the stipes won't do it. The connections need to.

Why not? The connections can file an information with the JCA (on a raceday) can't they? The whip rule is clear. Surely there are grounds for a protest if a horse is narrowly beaten by one where there has been excessive use. What rule prevents it?

3) A Rider shall not:
(a) use a whip other than a padded whip of a type, make or model specifically approved by NZTR, in a Race or trial (including a jump-out or test for certification purposes) or trackwork;
(b) strike a horse with a whip in a manner or to an extent which is:
[Amended 1 May 2015]
(i) unnecessary
(ii) or excessive
(iii) or improper;
(c) strike a horse forward of its shoulder; and/or
(d) during a Race or trial (including a jump-out or test for certification purposes), use or carry more than one padded whip.

5 hours ago, Thomass said:

That's not the Rule, just in case you are still having trouble with your remedial reading class. It is a guideline issued as an NZTR directive and it specifically states that it DOES NOT affect the generality of the Rule, which I cited above. The guideline says that there is no numerical limit on the number of times that a horse may be struck in the final 100. It is at the rider's discretion. That does not mean they can be excessively thrashed in breach of the Rule.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1