NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Mike Smith to Sign Autographs for Charity at Kentucky Downs

• Journalists

Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith will take his first trip to Kentucky Downs Thursday, Sept. 6 and while he won’t be riding, he will be raising money for three charities: Old Friends equine retirement facility, the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund and The Giving Circle, an all-volunteer non-profit organization founded in response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita that seeks out communities in need to connect them with the resources to help. Smith will sign limited edition 18×24-inch Coady Photography prints of Justify’s Kentucky Derby victory for a suggested $10 donation from 1-3 p.m. CT. The autograph session, from which the proceeds will be split among the three charities, will take place near the Finish Line Pavilion.

“We should take advantage of the opportunity to raise some money for some wonderful causes,” Smith said. “If I have the time, I certainly want and look forward to doing them. I’ve been blessed to have done a couple already and they raised quite a bit of money for the PDJF. Why not try to raise all I can?”

View the full article