NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

O’Brien Field in Question Due to Possible Grade I Defections

• Journalists

Despite shaping up as one of the deepest sprint races of the Del Mar summer meet, the GII Pat O’Brien S. looks likely to lose a pair of Grade I winners by the time the field lines up Saturday afternoon. Undefeated Catalina Cruiser (Union Rags), fresh off a runaway victory in the July 21 GII San Diego H., figures to be the one to beat in the seven-furlong test, while the chestnut’s most significant rivals–Roy H (More Than Ready) and Ransom the Moon (Malibu Moon)–are increasingly likely to bypass the race given their a long-term goal of the GI Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Churchill Downs Nov. 4.

“Ransom the Moon is not going to run,” confirmed Phil D’Amato, who trains the two-time winner of the GI Bing Crosby S.. “We’re going to look at either the [GI] Santa Anita Sprint Championship [Oct. 6] or the DeFrancis Dash (Sept. 15 at Laurel Park). I really just want to run him in one [Breeders’ Cup] prep. If I run him now, it’s sitting on him for 10 weeks before the Breeders’ Cup and that’s a long time for the horse..The spacing is just so much better for those other races to have him ready to give 100 percent against the best horses in the world.”

Trainer Peter Miller cited similar concerns regarding Roy H, runner-up to Ransom the Moon in the July 28 renewal of the Bing Crosby. Roy H was victorious in five of six starts last terms, including a win in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint, which was contested at Del Mar. He won the GII Palos Verdes S. at Santa Anita Feb. 3.

“The horse is doing fine, I think he’d win the race,” Miller said. “But winning [this] race is not the end game. If it’s going to cost me winning the Breeders’ Cup, that’s not a good trade off. So, I think we’re going to be prudent..I’m not afraid of any of those horses. We don’t duck anybody. But seven-eighths of a mile could knock him for a loop, and two months in front of the Breeders’ Cup, I don’t think that’s very smart.”

Miller added, “The only caveat to all of that is if the race fell apart and tons of scratches.”

The winner of his sole race last season going six furlong at Santa Anita in October, Catalina Cruiser was shelved until returning with a comfortable win in against optional claiming company at the Arcadia oval May 19. Favored while facing five others in the 8 1/2-furlong San Diego, Catalina Cruiser made short work of his rivals, including Grade II winner Dr. Dorr (Lookin At Lucky). The red hot Drayden Van Dyke, who is hitting at a 40% clip on the dirt with trainer John Sadler, gets back aboard.

Drawing the outside post is Battle of Midway (Smart Strike), winner of the GI Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile at this venue last November. Also last term, the Don Alberto and WinStar runner finished second in the GI Santa Anita Derby and third in the GI Kentucky Derby before cutting back to win the 8.5-furlong GIII Affirmed S. at Santa Anita in June. Later that summer, he won the six-furlong Shared Belief S. at Del Mar before a runner-up effort in the GIII Ohio Derby Sept. 24. Closing from off the pace to take the Mile, the millionaire has been working steadily for this return, including a productive six furlong work in 1:12.8 Aug. 18.

View the full article