NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Off to Flemington

Taazman

Stay close to Flinders Cook station for train out to Flemington. Book a reserved seat Hills Stand for good view of track.

Don't do a restaraunt meal package on course - enjoy ground floor public action - more enjoyable and Ozzie know how to serve good food in public arena.

Have a beer with Weir

Enjoy the trip

• Like 2

Or if you like getting near the horses (and the weather is OK), the rail either near the clock tower or closer to finish line gives good viewing and closer proximity to the horses. (If doing that on Derby/Cup day, you need to go early - but shouldn't be so bad Turnbull day).

MV on a less busy night is very good in one of the restaurants with brilliant view of the track. But viewing from the stands is very good there if restaurant not an option.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

1 Take the train.

2 Arrive early. Leave late. Eat an enormous breakfast.

3 Put your bets on before you leave.

4 Stay sober and enjoy watching the rest get trashed. Some it is amusing; some of it downright ugly but unforgettable.

5 Pay through the nose for a Hil Stand ticket if there are any left.

6 Don't assume the weather will be tropical. I have been on Derby Day 29C by 12pm and on a Cup Day when the winner was appropriately named Subzero. Never got past 10C and I froze my arse off.

7 Have a fully charged Smartphone to ensure plenty of pics..and plenty of aussie cash.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Silly silly Weasel has just realise you are going for Turnbull Day..crowd not so bad as Derby/Cup/Oaks week.

If three of the six of you are female, and the only ones likely to wear high heels  (but who knows these days!?) I suggest you DONT

Or at least out a pair of comfy loafers in the bag! A day at Flemington is hard on your tootsies.

Get to the Valley via Tram!.....the traffic is shocking, always has been, the Tram is the go......Flemington has changed since I trained there, most of us were up on the hill behind the grandstand, now they are on course.......it will still be party central though, the car park cup day was going off at 5am race day....trying to walk our 2yo's over to the tie ups was horrendous and you took your life in your hands as so many were pissed already with champagne breakfasts.......Derby day was the best, classic day........but at least you will be able to say you've been racing during the Spring Carnival......special.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Get to the Valley via Tram!.....the traffic is shocking, always has been, the Tram is the go......Flemington has changed since I trained there, most of us were up on the hill behind the grandstand, now they are on course.......it will still be party central though, the car park cup day was going off at 5am race day....trying to walk our 2yo's over to the tie ups was horrendous and you took your life in your hands as so many were pissed already with champagne breakfasts.......Derby day was the best, classic day........but at least you will be able to say you've been racing during the Spring Carnival......special.

I used to go across from NZ to Flemington every year to cover Cup Week for radio... after 2 years it was more fun to stay at home on Cup Day, do the form from the guisdes and watch it all on Tv, phoning in radio reports to NZ as if I were on track when actually 45 kms northwest, out in the boondocks of Kilmore..LOLHaing said that Derby Day was/is the BES day with al lthe different Group1s, so many champs or near-champs at the track, and alittle bit more breathing room on-course. Great memories.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Weasel said:

I used to go across from NZ to Flemington every year to cover Cup Week for radio... after 2 years it was more fun to stay at home on Cup Day, do the form from the guisdes and watch it all on Tv, phoning in radio reports to NZ as if I were on track when actually 45 kms northwest, out in the boondocks of Kilmore..LOLHaing said that Derby Day was/is the BES day with al lthe different Group1s, so many champs or near-champs at the track, and alittle bit more breathing room on-course. Great memories.

I think the space on course is fine even on cup day these days. It copes easily with 100k. They have improved the facilities from both the times this century when 120K+ attended. Derby Day is definitely the best racing imo. The entire week is just a massive event. I've only done the 4 days twice - pretty full on, and the last day has become a quality day of racing.

I think Flemington copes better then what MV does on Cox Plate day. Even Caulfield on a big Cup day has a bit of space problems. Although both are still fabulous events.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Weasel said:

I only ever had one runner Cup day, in a straight 6 as we called it then.....but the thrill was, and remains, saddling up Sky Flyer with Deac....although he ran ordinary [Deac said he was a year too soon, and he was right!] he led into the straight and even Deac was effected by the roar, and Deac was never effected, I had a burst ear drum courtesy of Pauline!......Cup day has it's own place on the planets to do list, but for racing aficionado's, well Derby Day has no peer.....it's just a fabulous day.

• Like 1