Bit Of A Yarn

Numerous wins are coming.

Walt

Around this time last year I noticed an unraced trotter at the trials named "The Present Maker".  Trained by Anne-Marie and Jack Best who are very good trainers especially with trotters. I really liked what I saw. Not so easy for trotters to win first up but I wasn't at all surprised to see The Present Maker win on debut with Mark Jones driving.

I live in Nelson so was happy to see The Present Maker in the fields for our local meeting in January. Bob Butt now driving. I wasn't surprised one bit by the result but was surprised by the prices including exotic bets.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=F054FE91-CCD4-4DFF-9E63-1D30B6D74F62&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

Not sure where and when The Present Maker will kick off his new campaign but I'm confident he'll be winning multiple races. I'm going to say at least five this time in but probably more. I will be shocked if he is not in the fields for Cup Day. I'll happily drive for the four and a half hours to watch him win. He owes me nothing.

He does have a chink in his armour and this has been evident but as he ages and gains experience he will just get better and better.

I watched the trials in May and noticed him racing his stablemate Make My Sundon winner of five races so far. The Present Maker came from behind Make My Sundon and beat her untouched very easily. That was all I needed to see.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=F9792FE5-27D9-47C8-ADA4-D5CEF7D0A9C4&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

Make My Sundon has been back to the races twice since that trial for two very nice seconds behind 5 time winner Test The Boundaries and 14 time winner Madeleine Stowe.

The Present Maker......enjoy the ride

• Like 1

I heard Mark Jones tell someone this horse was very quick one day at the trials before it had had its first start and have been on him ever since. Bit of a heartbreaker at the start but definitely has the speed. 

I got a decent collect off it in its first start mainly because the first four paid 15K and then again at Nelson but can't see me getting rich off it again because the bookies must have got a hiding off that first start and have always kept it safe ever since. Predicting it opens a short favourite at its next start.

• Like 1

I think going up against a higher graded trotter will create some doubt along with a record of breaking so you may get a better price than expected. I'm not a big punter so I will anchor him in exotic bets.

No doubt about his speed. He's got a motor and a good sprint. He could have doubled his winning margin @ Nelson. Bob Butt was giggling a long way out. The way he left Make My Sundon in the rear view mirror quickly late in that trial recently also tells a story. 

You're right about him being at short odds first up but I think he will carry on winning. Love seeing a good trotter and The Present Maker certainly fits into that category.