Bit Of A Yarn

“Frosty” gets elusive win in amateur drivers’ ranks

• Journalists
Warren-frost-salute-first-win-Rangiora-A

It’s taken a while but it was worth the wait for Warren Frost when he finally broke through at Rangiora yesterday.

Driving now 10-win mare Ruby’s A Delight Frost took out in the Country Feast (Amateurs Drivers) Mobile pace by a neck from Foveaux Gambler and Smokin Annie.

Warren-frost-salute-first-win-Rangiora-A

It was his 69th drive in the amateur ranks, after starting out in 2017.

Post race the 62-year-old said : “it was a lovely feeling when I hit the front.”

“There’s nothing better than driving them good and them going well too,” he told Harness Unhinged’s Nigel Armstrong.

“Today was a very special day for me.”

The win follows a family tradition, his father Bill drove three winners, including two for his father Leicester.

Warren-frost-and-John-McDermott-Rubys-A-

Making it extra special is that Frosty, as he’s known, is good mates with winning trainer John McDermott.

“John’s been an amazing supporter ..and I was pleased to get him a cheque.”

McDermott was delighted too – “he’s a good friend and I’m rapt for him.”

“He’s been close in the past.”

Frost has had five second place finishes over the years including one with the McDermott-trained Caesar’s Quest at Waimate in March 2019.

Frost works for Turners and Growers in Christchurch where he is the Category Development Manager

Today no doubt he’ll have some good yarns about what he got up to over the weekend.

View the full article