Bit Of A Yarn

No fears as Pride deep-ends promising colt

• Journalists

Even with the retirement this week of outstanding sprinter Eduardo (Host), Joe Pride is assembling a strong team for the spring and untapped colt Ceolwulf (NZ) (Tavistock) might just put his hand up to join it.

Despite having relatively small numbers in work, Pride consistently produces top performers with exciting sprinter Think About It (So You Think) and Everest runner-up Private Eye (Al Maher) among his headline horses.

Both have been well managed and taken gradually through their grades, so Pride is the first to admit that tossing Ceolwulf into Saturday’s Gr.3 Ming Dynasty Quality (1400m) at just his third start is a deviation from his usual practice.

But it is also a carefully considered one.

“This is an unusual move for a young horse of mine to go straight to a Group race,” Pride said.

“But he is a colt and I want to find out where he sits. I obviously have a good opinion of him, or I wouldn’t be doing this.”

A son of ill-fated stallion Tavistock, Ceolwulf began his career with a solid third to Manwe (Kenentari) at Canterbury last month before breaking his maiden with an impressive performance at Warwick Farm last start.

He was ridden by Sam Clipperton both times and the top jockey, who is also the regular rider of Pride’s Stradbroke Handicap winner Think About It, sticks with him at Rosehill.

In a tough field that brings together a variety of different formlines, Pride is happy to trust his instincts that Ceolwulf can rise to the challenge.

“He is probably my most interesting runner on Saturday,” he said.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing how he measures up because I think he’s got a stack of potential, and I love the fact the best part of his races so far have been the end of them where he’s really been strong through the line.

“I think 1400 (metres) is spot-on for him and a little bit of rain on Friday would be nice to take the sting out of the track.”

Ceolwulf has drawn well in barrier six while several of the fancied runners, including early race favourite Tom Kitten (Harry’s Angel) (barrier 15), will have to overcome wide gates.

Clipperton will be shooting for back-to-back wins in the Ming Dynasty after partnering Golden Mile- (Astern) last year, that horse going on to capture the Caulfield Guineas two starts later.

View the full article