Bit Of A Yarn

‘He’s got X-factor’: Waller

• Journalists

Chris Waller will have up to seventeen runners at Rosehill, five of them Group One winners, but it is one horse that has him especially excited.

When asked to nominate the galloper he is most looking forward to seeing on Saturday, Waller didn’t hesitate to name Kovalica (NZ) (Ocean Park), who has the Epsom Handicap as his early-season target.

“He’s got X-factor,” Waller said.

“I like horses with winning strike rates. They win when they’re over short distances, long distances, wide draws and that’s Kovalica.

“He’s by Ocean Park, they keep improving at four and I don’t just think he’s a 2400-metre horse, I think he’s a bit sharper than that.”

Kovalica has won six of his nine starts, putting his name in lights during the winter carnival in Brisbane where he swept home to capture the Queensland Guineas (1600m) before running boldly against seasoned campaigners when third to Huetor in the Gr.1 Doomben Cup (2000m).

He rounded out his preparation with a classy win in the Queensland Derby (2400m) and after two solid trials, Waller won’t be surprised to see him in the finish when he resumes in the Theo Marks Stakes (1300m) on Saturday, despite the distance being short of his best.

“He’s got a big weight and tricky draw (barrier 10) and it’s 1300, but as long as he’s finishing off, we’ll be rapt,” Waller said.

With Zougotcha (Zoustar) and Militarize (NZ) (Dundeel) scratched to contest other races on the program, Waller will have three runners in the Theo Marks, Madame Pommery (No Nay Never) and Waterford (Awtaad) joining Kovalica in the sprint.

The Theo Marks Stakes has produced upset results for the past two years with Kiku (Zoustar) successful as an $18 chance 12 months ago and Chat (Deep Field) bobbing up at $31 in 2021.

View the full article