Bit Of A Yarn

Brave effort from kiwi bred in Korea

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Hong Kong raider Duke Wai (NZ) (Per Incanto) finished a brave fourth placing in the Gr.3 Korea Sprint (1200m) at Seoul Racecourse in South Korea on Sunday.

Squeezed for running room as he left barrier 11, Duke Wai was forced to settle at the rear before steadily making ground mid-race under jockey Damian Lane. Turning for home, Duke Wai took the widest route and closed impressively, however, it was too little too late as Japanese horse Remake set a new course record over 1200m on the sand course.

Trainer Pierre Ng – who watched on trackside at Seoul – said: “I’m pretty happy with the way Duke Wai ran today. We were a bit unlucky at the start, but he made up so much ground. I was very proud with him the way he chased up a lot in the straight. The winner was good.

“If it wasn’t for the jump, we might have gone a little bit closer, but he did brilliantly for his second time overseas, we’ll be looking to going again with him.”  

Duke Wai did similar in March’s Gr.1 Al Quoz Sprint (1200m) at Meydan in Dubai when fifth. The chestnut takes home a cheque of KRW70,000,000 (approx. HK$410,696) for his efforts.

“Damian (Lane) was pleased. He got squashed at the start, but he still maintained his momentum to finish the race strong. He was a bit unlucky with the turn, we got a little bit wide and that probably cost us second or third place. But it was a very good run, I’m happy with him,” Ng said.

“We’ll try for the Group 2 Jockey Club Sprint in November – he’ll target that, if he gets in. Then we’ll see how he is, if he’s fit and ready for another trip to Dubai,” said Ng, who is considering a dirt course contest for the horse in the Middle East.

“We have to see, it’s under consideration (to run on the dirt in Dubai).”

Duke Wai was sold by breeders Waikato Stud at the 2016 Weanling Sale to Hallmark Stud who then sold him at the 2017 New Zealand Bloodstock Select Sale for $45,000 to Argonaut Racing.

Meanwhile at the season opening meeting at Sha Tin on Sunday New Zealand bred winners included Super Winner (NZ) (Guillotine), Ready To Win (NZ) (Tavistock) & I Give (NZ) (Per Incanto).

View the full article