Bit Of A Yarn

Walt

2 hours ago, Walt said:

won by ....Romulus Hanover. The number one horse was fairly decent  

image.thumb.jpeg.2bbe24352160f34a4c27a799744d0bdc.jpeg

That is amazing Walt 🏆 . The american racebook. Did you see races in America by being there yourself at any stage.?

Cardy's bracketed Mate there 1A , looks to of run 3rd to Lordship at Manawatu in the form . Must of been a handy horse in Nz ? Cardinal King ? 

And How about the number 7  in you racebook?? still repping for Australia. what a win he is showing there !!!!! The Interdominion Grand Final at Auckland 24th Feb 1968. Very very very lucky to win it of course . The brilliant Halwes from Tasmania scratched (paid out by NSW bookies). You can see First Lee running 2nd to Halwes in the Miracle Mile in the form guide there in March at Harold Park not long after the February Interdominion win (not paid off on that occasion obviously lol 😅) . First Lee was beaten many lengths in the Inter heat win showing there too on 17th Feb. My dad was travelling with Halwes from Tassie as farrier with 3 other men including Aub Wesley (the owner trainer of Halwes and a bit of an eccentric bloke) I got to go to Nz as a little lad because of this . 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Gammalite said:

That is amazing Walt 🏆 . The american racebook. Did you see races in America by being there yourself at any stage.?

Cardy's bracketed Mate there 1A , looks to of run 3rd to Lordship at Manawatu in the form . Must of been a handy horse in Nz ? Cardinal King ? 

And How about the number 7  in you racebook?? still repping for Australia. what a win he is showing there !!!!! The Interdominion Grand Final at Auckland 24th Feb 1968. Very very very lucky to win it of course . The brilliant Halwes from Tasmania scratched (paid out by NSW bookies). You can see First Lee running 2nd to Halwes in the Miracle Mile in the form guide there in March at Harold Park not long after the February Interdominion win (not paid off on that occasion obviously lol 😅) . First Lee was beaten many lengths in the Inter heat win showing there too on 17th Feb. My dad was travelling with Halwes from Tassie as farrier with 3 other men including Aub Wesley (the owner trainer of Halwes and a bit of an eccentric bloke) I got to go to Nz as a little lad because of this . 

Hey Gammalite,

I enjoy trolling through the old results. Memory Lane a lovely spot to visit.

Cardinal King was just before my time but looking through the old results I see he won 10 here for Jack Behrns who stopped training in 1981. Famous harness family the Behrns. I'm assuming there is a family connection with Tommy Behrns from Canterbury and Irvin from the South Auckland area?

You and your dad had a great ride together and have a busload of great memories. 

I've been to Meadowlands in New Jersey a few years back but it was on a non raceday. I just wanted to get a feel for it but did go to Yonkers for a few races and a few weeks later on our tiki tour when to Mohawk Park in Canada. Was snowing when we went and again only stayed for a few races on a low key day. 

I never got to see Cardigan Bay in the flesh which I very much regret. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Jack Behrns who stopped training in 1981. Famous harness family the Behrns. I'm assuming there is a family connection with Tommy Behrns from Canterbury and Irvin from the South Auckland area?

Fantastic you got to see those famous tracks at Yonkers and Meadowlands on your trip !👍 . Yeah Irvin Behrns was down Cambridge way , along with Charlie Hunter (who sent Young Quinn to USA)   and had staff and horses to send to America in the 70's which would of been cool for all those young lads.  

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I never got to see Cardigan Bay in the flesh which I very much regret.

Cardy had returned from USA , and was living out his days in NZ , and only very plain to look at, even in his racing days.  😅.

Here in photo , Cardy is at around 22 years old (He lived to over 30 years I believe) being "Spruced Up' by the Purdon Boys with Barry on the 'backbrush' there, think that's Owen and Mark on the hooves, and Jeff King hanging on to Cardigan Bay's head , ready for a Champions night out somewhere.

The 'good winning vibes' rubbing off back onto the Purdon lads 😂 . they're STill winning races 45 years later !! after touching the Best in the World for a day . 🏆😆🍻 

DSC03076.JPG

• Like 1