Bit Of A Yarn

Purdons to make their mark in Victoria on Saturday night

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

By Adam Hamilton

Nathan Purdon is confident of winning at least one Vicbred final on Saturday night’s massive 12-Melton card.

Purdon and his father, Mark, have two-year-old trotting filly We Can Have It All in her $100,000 final (race 12) and The Real Sherlock in the $150,000 Group 1 3YO Pacing Colts and Geldings’ final (race six).

We Can Have It All is a firming ($1.80 into $1.75) favourite after drawing the pole and Purdon said she would be “much better” than when she qualified with a second placing in her Maryborough heat on September 4.

“We nearly didn’t run her,” he said. “She was a bit crook and her bloods were all out.

“I’m really happy with how she’s come on since that run. We’re going there thinking she’s back where she needs to be and is a great winning chance, rather than just hoping we could sneak a place like in the heat.

“She’s got the right draw and leaves the gate quickly, so we’d love to lead and hold the front if Greg (Sugars, driver) can. She’ll get every chance that way.”

But Purdon concedes it will be a much harder task for three-year-old pacer The Real Sherlock from a wide draw (gate six) in his final.

“The upside is we haven’t really screwed him down until this week and he’ll improve, but it’ll need to be a lot to win from that draw against some really nice horses,” he said.

“I thought he was good in his semi for where he was at, but I was a bit surprised the outside horse (Perfect Class) was able to beat him home. Fair enough the winner (Techys Watching) won with the nice run it had, but I thought he should’ve run second.”

Purdon is also unsure about tactics at the start from the wide.

“He’s got really good early speed and we could push the button, but at what cost?” he said.

“Whatever Greg does, I’m sure he’ll still race somewhere up on the speed, but it will be hard with the key dangers all drawn better than him.”

They are $1.25 Petracca (gate one), $5 second elect Techys Watching (eight, inside back row) and Perfect Class (four). That trio are all trained by Emma Stewart and Clayton Tonkin.

Purdon is also looking forward to watching his former stable star from his time based in Victoria, Amore Vita.

Purdon trained her to win the Vicbred 2YO Fillies’ final then she moved to Stewart and Tonkin to win last year’s three-year-old fillies’ final.

Amore Vita is a $1.30 to become just the second female pacer to complete a Vicbred clean sweep by winning Saturday night’s 4YO Mares’ final.

“It’ll be great to see her again,” Purdon said. “I remember telling Steve (Dolan, owner) way back that I thought she had X-factor and it’s great to see her really delivering on that. She’s a special mare and her record shows it.”

View the full article