Bit Of A Yarn

Alice Springs trainer Paul Gardner kicks off new season in style

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists
Paul-Gardner-11-500x280.jpg

Paul-Gardner-11.jpgTrainer Paul Gardner (second left) and his family, along with Darwin jockey Adam Nicholls, celebrating the win by Perkova at Alice Springs’ Pioneer Park on September 10. Gardner and Nicholls ended the day with a treble after Quick Return and Miss McGregor also saluted. Picture: Nikki Westover Photography

Not many in NT racing would begrudge the early success that Red Centre-based trainer Paul Gardner is experiencing this season.

Gardner, who has dealt with health issues in recent times and had a horse euthanised on the eve of the Darwin Cup Carnival, currently leads the Alice Springs and Provincial Trainers’ Premiership with five wins after four meetings.

“Yeah, it’s been a good start,” Gardner said.

“Got a treble a couple of weeks ago, which was pleasing and makes it all worthwhile when it all falls into place.

“It’s been a while since I’ve come into the first bit of the season where I’ve had five winners already.

“I think I’m buying horses now with a bit more quality.

“I buy them for myself and my immediate family, which includes my sons Jeremy, Joshua, and Jacob, and my daughter-in-law Dani, who is married to Jeremy.

“Touch wood, I’m very happy with how things are going at the moment.

“I also bought a set of stables, and I’m in the process of doing a bit of work to them.”

Gardner returned to full-time training late last year and ended the 2022–23 campaign with 13 wins, and confidence is high after an encouraging start this season.

He has eight runners on the five-race card at Pioneer Park on Sunday with last start winners Quick Return and Miss McGregor leading the charge.

“Quick Return has done really well and if I didn’t run him it would have been three weeks between runs,” Gardner said.

“The 1200m is probably a touch short for him, but he hasn’t raced any better in his career.

“He had 22 starts, but then he won his maiden and won next start last week which is very hard to do sometimes with a horse like that.

“It was a nice win last Sunday and I couldn’t be happier with him – the 2kg claim helped and Dakota Gillett rode him a treat.

“I have only won a couple with Miss McGregor, who is coming along nicely after her win three weeks ago – she’s a very consistent mare and very tough.

“In the next few weeks there are some nice races over 1400m and 1600m, so that’s what I’m going to target.”

Meanwhile, Gardner is adapting to life without popular mare Roughly, a 11-year-old these day, who has retired after injuring a tendon when second in her 64th and last start in open company over 1100m in March.

The daughter of Kaphero saluted in a 1000m Bendigo maiden on debut in March 2016 before winning two races from three starts for SA trainer Michael Hickmott, who was based in the Top End at the time, during the 2016 Darwin Cup Carnival.

Hickmott took Roughly to Morphettville and Mildura for three starts where she finished unplaced and then ended up with Gardner where she had a further 55 starts in the NT.

Roughly had her injury problems, but finished with 18 wins and was placed 19 times from 1000-1600m – and it was only last September she raced beyond 1300m for the first time when she saluted over 1400m as a 10-year-old.

Last October, the mare made her debut over 1600m and remarkably she won that too.

Alice Springs trainers Carly Cook and Leah Walling-Denton, as well as Darwin trainer Phil Cole, cared for Roughly on occasions she raced against quality opposition in Alice Springs, Darwin and Katherine.

In her last 17 starts stretching back to July 2022, Roughly had eight wins, four seconds, three thirds and two fourths – any wonder she had so many admirers.

Hard Work Rewards, Gardner’s 10-year-old mare, has also retired after 24 starts after debuting in Alice Springs in September 2016.

The daughter of Magnus, who had injury concerns as well, had her last start on Alice Springs Cup Day on April 30 when 10th over 1200m (0-62) – all up she had two career wins at Pioneer Park last year over 1200m (0-64) in August and 1600m (0-64) in November.

“Roughly’s down in Victoria with Hard Work Rewards – they’re both at the Riverbank Farm stud, which is at Benalla,” Gardner said.

“They’re both going to go the stallion Redente – Hard Work Rewards actually had a foal on one occasion she was recovering from injury.

“They’ve been down there for a few months and hopefully they will get served in the next month or six weeks, and then I’ll probably bring them back and foal them here.

“Both mares raced quite well, especially Roughly – put it this way, not many have done what she did over such a long period.

“We didn’t step her out to 1400m and 1600m until late in her career, but she held up her end of the bargain.

“She did exceptionally well and you couldn’t ask any more from her.

“Her last nine months was outstanding, it just all clicked for her.

“She loved it, she never left an oat in her bin, and she enjoyed going to the races.

“I’ve retired her because her tendon started to flare up and I thought, well I’m not going to break her down, so I sent her down south.”

Sadly, Gardner lost Glacier Grey when the four-year-old gelding stumbled and fractured his near fore leg at Fannie Bay in July.

Darwin apprentice Jade Hampson was dislodged from the horse and has yet to return to the saddle after injuring her back – in fact she missed the entire Darwin Cup Carnival.

“He was a beautiful little horse,” Gardner said.

“Unfortunately it happens in racing, but he showed no signs that he had any problems with his legs.

“He was so free in his action, he never had any issues with his feet or his legs or anything like that.

“He was actually working his way to the lead in the race – it was a pretty sad day.”

More horse racing news

View the full article