NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Hawera

moz1047

Hi there from the Capital of Taranaki Racing - Hawera.

What good fields for tomorrow.  Think there was supposed to be only 8 races but had to expand to 9 and then 3 or 4 of these have still got horses balloted out and rest are almost capacity.  Bit like that great track New Plymouth -  OOps sorry thats right they generally only get 7 races with 7 or 8 horses in each.  So lets close down Hawera shall we and spend plenty on doing up New Plymouth.  One problem with that of course is that they dont currently own a track and not even sure if they have renegotiated a new lease even. I know NP council were talking about not renewing it.

Anyway as for Hawera.  Track yesterday would have been a good 3 but after some overnight rain and few showers today has been downgraded to Dead 4.  Bit more rain predicted tonight but dont think it will be much and fairly windy so will dry out quite quickly therefore expect a Daed 4 or 5 by tomorrow with no track bias.  Will update in morning if I get chance.  Off to Calcutta shortly.  Good punting all. 

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 1

23 minutes ago, moz1047 said:

What good fields for tomorrow.  Think there was supposed to be only 8 races but had to expand to 9 and then 3 or 4 of these have still got horses balloted out and rest are almost capacity.  Bit like that great track New Plymouth -  OOps sorry thats right they generally only get 7 races with 7 or 8 horses in each.  So lets close down Hawera shall we and spend plenty on doing up New Plymouth.  One problem with that of course is that they dont currently own a track and not even sure if they have renegotiated a new lease even. I know NP council were talking about not renewing it.

Anyway as for Hawera.  Track yesterday would have been a good 3 but after some overnight rain and few showers today has been downgraded to Dead 4.  Bit more rain predicted tonight but dont think it will be much and fairly windy so will dry out quite quickly therefore expect a Daed 4 or 5 by tomorrow with no track bias.  Will update in morning if I get chance.  Off to Calcutta shortly.  Good punting all. 

Ah you see it is that second last sentence of the first paragraph that has doomed you.

Because you have looked after your asset and have not lived beyond your means you now own the race track property.  And you probably got no help from the authorities to get to that position.

But now like a warped version of the little red hen story you are going to have to share the fruits of your labour with those who pissed theirs up against the wall.  Well actually no - you can't share the fruits of your labour you have to give all those fruits to the incompetent lot who have blown all they ever got(And I bet it was millions more than Hawera did to I might add).

Same principle applied here on the Coast -  the 'close' courses were selected not on merit or standard of facilities but straight out on the basis of which would generate the most money for the fat cats to waste.  Hence the three freehold venues get closed and sold up while the leasehold one is retained.

Quite a scientific way to select the victims I would have thought?

Anyway Moz good luck for a great day there tomorrow - I have a small share in one running there but it needs a decent track so anything you can do to keep that rain away! 

• Champ Post 1

37 minutes ago, moz1047 said:

Great track, always has been, far better than NP,  race at Hawera John M, flick the other, close whatever but leave Hawera, just because NP is closer to Te Akau is no reason to alienate the majority, Baker and co should get used to travelling just that little bit further, suck it up DE.....

• Haha 1

Hi Reefton.

Having been born & bred in Reefton (parents, grandparents, etc, etc are still in Reefton Cemetary) and been on Westland RC committee I am fully aware of what you are saying.  In our case they are using population as an excuse but that doesn't even apply in the Coasts case.  In fact many moons ago when I was Secretary of Reefton RFC I think that the rugby club had a share in the racecourse facilities.  Is that still the case?  I know the Trotting club still has approx 33% share here so not sure how they get around that.  Think there is plenty of fighting to come yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Great track, always has been, far better than NP,  race at Hawera John M, flick the other, close whatever but leave Hawera, just because NP is closer to Te Akau is no reason to alienate the majority, Baker and co should get used to travelling just that little bit further, suck it up DE.....

Rowley.  We generally get more horses from Waikato to our meetings than NP anyway because they dont like track.  We are also an hour closer to Central District training tracks such as Awapuni, Wanganui, Foxton, Levin, etc.  Makes absolutely no sense.  As I just said to Reefton they are using population as an excuse but that is crap as well because as mentioned we are lot closer to Palmy, etc.  Certainly not the case with Coast so dont know what they base that on. Kumara has no accomodation, night life, track (is shit), etc

8 minutes ago, moz1047 said:

Hi Reefton.

Having been born & bred in Reefton (parents, grandparents, etc, etc are still in Reefton Cemetary) and been on Westland RC committee I am fully aware of what you are saying.  In our case they are using population as an excuse but that doesn't even apply in the Coasts case.  In fact many moons ago when I was Secretary of Reefton RFC I think that the rugby club had a share in the racecourse facilities.  Is that still the case?  I know the Trotting club still has approx 33% share here so not sure how they get around that.  Think there is plenty of fighting to come yet.

That's a very good point Moz.  The Rugby Club put up one third of the money to build the 'new' (well about 30 plus years old now but comparatively new)  administration block at the racecourse BUT their name is not on the title deed so not sure where they are going to stand when(and if) Winston gets his way.  I doubt their interests will be considered at all knowing the bewildered one. The land itself is 50 /50 between the Jockey and Trotting Clubs.

Anyway I have decided my time with the RJC is at an end so once the AGM is  over next Thursday fighting with Winston will be someone else's job.  I've had thirty years so time for someone else to take up the cudgels

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, moz1047 said:

Rowley.  We generally get more horses from Waikato to our meetings than NP anyway because they dont like track.  We are also an hour closer to Central District training tracks such as Awapuni, Wanganui, Foxton, Levin, etc.  Makes absolutely no sense.  As I just said to Reefton they are using population as an excuse but that is crap as well because as mentioned we are lot closer to Palmy, etc.  Certainly not the case with Coast so dont know what they base that on. Kumara has no accomodation, night life, track (is shit), etc

People(Winston included) like to go to Kumara to get on the piss.  But in this day and age that is a fragile situation - it is pretty well known that the Cops and Crown Public Health tried to shut down BYO there last season so it is a matter of time and once BYO is gone Kumara will quickly become just another racemeeting and on a shit track at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moz1047 said:

I was there for 3-1/2 years Moz, I'm biased, that was during the halcyon years, Fury's Order, Tomray, Egmont Park, Kartika, Rich Return...etc etc.....but the track is the same, a beauty. Only an idiot would eat hamburger when you can have fillet steak.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moz1047 said:

Hi Reefton.

Haha, your comment read to me like your parents were looking to get out of Reefton cemetary.

All the best tomorrow, love Hawera track and I normally go huge there punting wise.