Bit Of A Yarn

Cocaine - Environmental Contamination Case treated fairly?

Chief Stipe

Brion, Four Other Suspensions Lifted by HIWU

'I am hopeful these are steps forward to handling things in a better way'—Brion

The Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit lifted the provisional suspension for trainer Keri Brion because a horse in her care, Chasing After You, allegedly tested positive for the drug cocaine.

The suspension was lifted pursuant to HIWU Rule 3247 (e), "If it considers it appropriate to do so on the specific facts of the case, the Agency may lift the Provisional Suspension."

The testing came after Brion shipped Chasing After You into the Presque Isle Downs receiving barn for a Sept. 19 claiming race. The 3-year-old Three Diamonds Farm-owned filly by Speightstown   finished the six-furlong test in 1:10.18, three-quarters of a length ahead of the field.

"It's not over, HIWU is doing their study," said Brion. "I don't know the details as to how it goes from here, but this is a relief. I am hopeful that these incidents are steps forward to handling these types of things in a better way."

Other recent suspensions for banned substances, which were lifted, include:

• R. McLane Henriks—cocaine positive Aug. 16 with Princess Javoncia at Penn National
  • Carlos Milian—hydrochlorothiazide positive July 29 with Junglherly Love at Parx Racing
  • Javier Morzan—metformin positive June 24 with Lady Liv at Delaware Park
  • Guadalupe Munoz Elizondo—metformin positive June 11 with Quinton's Charmer at Sunray Park

A hearing for each of the five cases will be forthcoming.

Brion added: "My big thing is, I shipped out to Presque Isle Downs, with my own help into the receiving barn. We train at Fair Hill and ship to every track we run at. We're not stabled at the track we run at. Holding trainers 100% responsible with zero tolerance for any medication or drug finding is very difficult because we don't have control over the cleanliness of the receiving barns. Most times, the receiving barn is not sanitary. It's been a tough week. I had to spend a lot of money to retain a lawyer, which rocks your whole world. I hope these cases can be helpful moving forward, so this type of thing doesn't have to keep happening to people that are good for the game."

• Like 1