JMac heading for a stint in Hong Kong

Chief Stipe

J-Mac set for Hong Kong stint

Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds

8:22am
James McDonald pats Romantic Warrior
James McDonald pats Romantic Warrior

One of Australia's leading jockeys, James McDonald, is set for a short-term riding stint in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong stewards announced on Tuesday night that McDonald would be allowed to ride from November 24, 2023 to January 1, 2024.

It comes after McDonald's dominance during Melbourne Cup week which saw him win the VRC Derby and Oaks as well as the Champions' Stakes. He also won the Cox Plate on Romantic Warrior.

Champion jockey Zac Purton, who rides in Hong Kong, revealed last year McDonald was on his hit list of people he wanted to bring over to ride in Hong Kong.

“You’re probably not going to believe me, but I’ve been on the phone to him the last couple of years trying to get him to come to Hong Kong," Purton told SEN last year.

“At the end of the day when he looks at his bank account and he looks at my bank account, he’s stupid for staying in Australia.

“It’s as simple as that.

“As a sportsman, you have a small window of opportunity, and if you’re running any business anywhere in there world, you need to maximise your return. When you’ve only got a small window of opportunity to ride, like he does and like we all do, you’ve got to try and set yourself up for the rest of your life.

“He can stay there, win all the trophies, get all the accolades, and at the end of his career he’ll still have a mortgage on his home. It’s as simple as that. Financially it just doesn’t make sense."