Bit Of A Yarn

World Record...December 27th 1957....Westport Trotting Club. First triple Dead Heat Photo Finish

On 18/01/2024 at 8:15 PM, Walt said:

image.thumb.jpeg.56f77d961940c557f28e01b399aed694.jpeg

A blast from the past, from memory the club was paid a thousand pounds apparently, wouldchave been a lot of money back then,been a few good horses win races on that track, our mana armalight couplevof nairn trained trotters red maybe,you myst have a great racing photo library at yours, been some nice pics that you've posted,

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shad said:

A blast from the past, from memory the club was paid a thousand pounds apparently, wouldchave been a lot of money back then,been a few good horses win races on that track, our mana armalight couplevof nairn trained trotters red maybe,you myst have a great racing photo library at yours, been some nice pics that you've posted,

Cheers Shad. My knowledge of that triple dead heat is limited to what is said on the photo.

I actually took a photo of that picture in the Presidents room at the Nelson Trotting Club. Caught my attention and I appreciate that sort of thing.

Our Mana was a beauty for Colin. He's always been a guy that I enjoy seeing with a good horse or two. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Walt said:

Cheers Shad. My knowledge of that triple dead heat is limited to what is said on the photo.

I actually took a photo of that picture in the Presidents room at the Nelson Trotting Club. Caught my attention and I appreciate that sort of thing.

Our Mana was a beauty for Colin. He's always been a guy that I enjoy seeing with a good horse or two. 

You know you've made it to the top when your in the president's room, great pic and story, any other highlights on your visit, hope you got a couple of sandwiches, always found the old photos really interesting, time flies by and we can easily forget highlights of top race horses trainers and owners.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

You know you've made it to the top when your in the president's room, great pic and story, any other highlights on your visit, hope you got a couple of sandwiches, always found the old photos really interesting, time flies by and we can easily forget highlights of top race horses trainers and owners.

Thanks Shad...I didn't mean to sound pretentious speaking of the Presidents room. It's just a double bedroom size that has loads of picture framed photos on the wall that people like us soak up. It's also where the club President has a nice moment and a drink with the connections of race winners. We were looked after all day which was well received. Me thinks I have light years to go before I can see the top but thank you for the compliment :) 

I love the back story of harness racing, both from the horse and people perspective. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, some of the history is not happily ever after and is confronting. The bottom line is all of the people I know in the game love their horses and are passionate about the sport.

If I could have one request in the game it would be more weight is put on the voices of trainers and drivers. Harness racing is being steered into oblivion at this time and if we are not careful, the past will be all we have. 

Cheers

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Walt said:

Thanks Shad...I didn't mean to sound pretentious speaking of the Presidents room. It's just a double bedroom size that has loads of picture framed photos on the wall that people like us soak up. It's also where the club President has a nice moment and a drink with the connections of race winners. We were looked after all day which was well received. Me thinks I have light years to go before I can see the top but thank you for the compliment :) 

I love the back story of harness racing, both from the horse and people perspective. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, some of the history is not happily ever after and is confronting. The bottom line is all of the people I know in the game love their horses and are passionate about the sport.

If I could have one request in the game it would be more weight is put on the voices of trainers and drivers. Harness racing is being steered into oblivion at this time and if we are not careful, the past will be all we have. 

Cheers

All good was just pulling your leg on the president's room, just my sense of humor, good to see there looking after the owners and trainers, as they are the life blood of the game, certainly interesting looking at all the archives of years gone by,always planned to get up to the showroom of the riccarton grandstand, but alas that's gone now, but probably in the members now, had a share in a galloper a few years back, mainly raced in the south but traveled to riccarton a few times, never his go but he did start in an nz cup and finish midfield, won 7 including  cup race in Southland by 10 lenghs, was certainly the highlight, all owners of horses in all races at riccarton,got a free drink and time in the owners room before the race, nice touch, but should be the least they do. So now the circuits over where will your focus be,any plans to head to the coast for the March meetings.racing is a disease for which there is no cure.😊

• Champ Post 1

I'm mostly a harness man Shad but the gallopers do get my interest when the group races run or jumps racing. What they've done to the Ellerslie Hill will help kill off Jumps racing in NZ. Not a big fan of the same old same old lower grade winter flat racing.

I remember going to Riccarton in the late 1970's or early 80's and meeting up with my brother and a handful of his university mates who were like most Uni students in that they were on the bones of their arse. I told them about a horse in the last race called Precious Mac. By the time the last race came we were all plastered. They all had their $5, $10 or $20 on Precious Mac. We watched it from the top of the old stand. He was coming last in the running and turning in. They gave up in fits of laughter and uncomplimentary remarks about my tip.....which dive bombed them late down the outside to even bigger fits of laughter. I was the guru after that and retired as their tipster undefeated :) 

Well done for having a horse good enough to win 7 and run in the NZ Cup. Who was your trainer Shad?

My punting cue will go back in the rack now till around Easter but will be around.

Cheers