Bit Of A Yarn

Owners Mourn Verry Elleegant

Owners mourn Verry Elleegant | RACING.COM
www.racing.com
James McDonald embraces Verry Elleegant after winning the Melbourne Cup (Image: Racing Photos)

Brae Sokolski said the shock loss of champion mare Verry Elleegant had provided him and his fellow part-owners their toughest moment in racing.

The 2021 Melbourne Cup winner and 2020/21 Horse of the Year could not be saved after a breeched birth in Ireland overnight, with a shocked and saddened Sokolski charged with having to inform the rest of the ownership group, as well as her former trainer and jockey, what had occurred.

"Obviously, I've had a hell of a lot of highs in the game, but this is the worst thing I've had to endure," Sokolski said.

"I had to call Chris Waller and James McDonald and you could hear in their voice that they were close to tears as she meant so much.

"We will all miss her. Chris' staff were so close to her."

Verry Elleegant.

Sokolski explained Verry Elleegant had been three weeks overdue and was unable to give birth because of the position of the Sea The Stars foal.

"The foal was in the worst position it could be, which is called a dogsitter position, where the back and front legs are tucked under its stomach and in that situation, it can be incredibly hard to get the foal out and they couldn't," Sokolski said.

"It had thrashed around and caused all sorts of internal damage and she went to the operating theatre but they couldn't save her.

"It was nearly exactly the same as what happened to Winx, but Winx has just survived and she didn't.

"We mourn her and we also mourn the generations and generations that were to follow. The family basically stops, so that makes it even more tragic."

Sokolski said the reaction to the news had been touching.

"I've been absolutely flooded with messages from people within the industry and outside with the condolences and expressions of what she meant," he said. "It warms my heart."

Sokolski said he was pleased that connections and fans of the mare will get to remember her each year after the Australian Turf Club decided to rename Saturday week's Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) at Randwick the Verry Elleegant Stakes.

"I am so grateful to the ATC that they have named the race after her as that will immortalise her," he said.

• Like 1