Bit Of A Yarn

I Can't Understand.

Rowley Mile

3 hours ago, mardigras said:

They take more out. But they aren't run by a bunch of incompetents.

But apart form that, NZ has a different profile from a betting perspective. Given that profile, there was always a need to maximise the level of net revenue against that. By extending what they operated on without considering the impact to their cost model, all they did was dilute what they had in net terms. And at the same time, they started a drive of shifting interest in NZ racing elsewhere.

Which leaves us where we are now. Dependent on the revenues earned from jurisdictions outside NZ and no revenue coming from NZ racing. Good work.

Foik that second paragraph - you should be writing tax legislation

Are you saying that Kiwis aren't punters and that the NZ TAB costs too much to run?(if you are then I agree 100%)

8 hours ago, Reefton said:

Tabcorp and those outfits are all public Companies aren't they?  Do you expect the Aussie Government to subsidise public companies as well?  And another thing - there must be a quid in it for them because otherwise why would they bother?  Just set up in the northern territory like the bookies and work out of there.

What part aren't you getting? All of it by the looks.I don't expect the Australian governments to subsidise those companies. I'm simply pinting out that those governements don't give to the industry sfa. Something you still don't seem to to be able to grasp.

I'm the one stating the government doesn't give the industry there as much as here. Are you now agreeig with me. Well done, you've caught up.

So in Oz,

the betting operators pay income tax to the government (that's a take, not a give by the government)

the betting operators pay license fees to the governments (that's a take, not a give by the government)

the betting operators pay a portion of their net revenues to the industry (that's no longer much to do with the government)

the governments give less than the first two items back to the industry (that's a give, not a take)

in NZ

the government (NZRB) pays all the income it makes from betting to the industry (that's a give, not a take)

If you can't work out that the NZ government is giving massively more to the industry here than happens in Australia (relative to the industry size), then there isn't much point continuing the discussion.

• Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Reefton said:

Foik that second paragraph - you should be writing tax legislation

Are you saying that Kiwis aren't punters and that the NZ TAB costs too much to run?(if you are then I agree 100%)

What has it got to do with tax legislation. It's a business. It has zero to do with tax and everything to do with the business model.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

What has it got to do with tax legislation. It's a business. It has zero to do with tax and everything to do with the business model.

It is your inability(in that instance)to put a coherent understandable sentence together.

And you seem to have a hangup on the Aussie government's dealings with gaming agencies - they are private businesses and like all private businesses they pay their suppliers (in this case the racing clubs) and they pay tax.  Where in NZ are you telling me private businesses (other than Maori Authorities and so called Charities) pay neither their suppliers nor income tax?  

I am talking about direct assistance to the racing industry and form where I am sitting every time the paper is picked up we hear how the NSW or Victorian government has given racing more money.

What's more whatever the NZ government 'gives' the industry would be repaid hundreds and himdreds of times over by the GST, paye, petrol tax and income taxes paid by the participants on their racing activities. And I fail to see what the NZ government gives anyway.

2 minutes ago, Reefton said:

And you seem to have a hangup on the Aussie government's dealings with gaming agencies - they are private businesses and like all private businesses they pay their suppliers (in this case the racing clubs) and they pay tax.  Where in NZ are you telling me private businesses (other than Maori Authorities and so called Charities) pay neither their suppliers nor income tax?  

I am talking about direct assistance to the racing industry and form where I am sitting every time the paper is picked up we hear how the NSW or Victorian government has given racing more money.

What's more whatever the NZ government 'gives' the industry would be repaid hundreds and himdreds of times over by the GST, paye, petrol tax and income taxes paid by the participants on their racing activities. And I fail to see what the NZ government gives anyway.

I have no hangup with gaming agencies. i am simply talking the facts about the assistance the various governments give to the racing industry.

Fact 1. The Australian government take from the industry. (Excluding any taxes paid by participants)

Fact 2. The NZ government gives to the industry. (Excluding any taxes paid by participants)

Direct assistance. NZRB IS direct assistance. Government money, given to the industry. Every time you read the paper and see the stake on offer, think government direct assistance. Does that help. Now you will be able to read about NZ direct government assistance every time you look at the details of a race.

As for your other fluff. Who gives a toss. I'm pretty sure NZ and Australian tax payers do similar. They do get it back by way of hospitals, education etc etc. Or do you think the taxes from racing industry people should be special and directed just back to them. 

So the model in Australia is the governments take from the industry. And in NZ the government gives to the industry.

And when a government in Australia decides to take a little less, you think the NZ government should therefore give a bit more. 

Interesting stance. I know NZ is very heavily sided with massive social welfare, but that is getting ridiculous. Where do I sign up?