Bit Of A Yarn

Snooze and you lose...$500!

‘Been a long week': Jockey fined after falling asleep

Tyler Schiller was caught sleeping five minutes before a race he was set to ride in. Jeremy Ng/Getty Images
Tyler Schiller was caught sleeping five minutes before a race he was set to ride in. Jeremy Ng/Getty Images

By Jett Hatton

Top jockey Tyler Schiller was fined by stewards at Rosehill on Saturday after he failed to make the pre-race parade for the Maurice McCarten Stakes (1100m) because he was asleep in the jockeys room.

Schiller, who didn't have a ride in the previous race, had fallen asleep in the rest room and left the connections of Rich Fortune scratching their heads when their rider was a no show prior to the race.

"I was just going in there to sit on something and I had a lay down but I wasn't expecting to fall asleep," Schiller told stewards.

"It's been a long week."

Schiller woken up by an official five minutes before the race was scheduled to jump.

Rich Fortune was well backed from $26 into $7.50 and a late arrival at the barriers before failing to beat a runner home in the feature sprint won by Godolphin's Red Card.

"Can you see where it sits in respect to your professionalism," acting chief steward Tom Moxon told Schiller during an inquiry into his nap.

"You're riding on a feature day, Group 3 race, connections have booked a Group 1-winning rider and there you are fast asleep five minutes before a race.

"It doesn't paint yourself in a good light in regard to your professionalism."

He pleaded guilty to "failing to present himself in the mounting yard in a timely manner" and stewards issued a $500 fine.

Last week the young rider rode his second Group 1 winner when booting home Lady Laguna to win the Canterbury Stakes (1300m).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

Maybe not before a Group race but I think we have all been so tired we have nodded off and missed something important to someone.

Yes I guess a Grp 1 is more important than weddings and a funeral.

• Haha 1