NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Elvis hasn't been in the building....but don't forget him

Walt

In January this year I spent a lot of time reviewing races and trials for our local Nelson meeting. 

A trotter caught my eye in his trials that loudly said to me it had ability. It's the Gavin Smith trained and driven "Heartbreak Hotel". I felt if he trots at Nelson, he wins. Unfortunately on the first day he shit himself at the start. Watching him go around well behind the field on what was an awesome day felt a bit like being served up a plateful of fresh wet dog shit. On the second day I questioned if I should keep the faith. I did and Heartbreak Hotel did an almost carbon copy of what he did on the day one.

I felt he obviously needed to learn how to get around in one piece prior to considering him a winning prospect even if he was racing against a dromedary or two.

I see he's in at Rangiora today in Race 3. He's at $26 fixed odds. I'm not suggesting you punt on him. I wouldn't back him even with stolen money until I know he can hold it together. What I am suggesting however is he's worth throwing in to exotic bets with the knowledge he does have enough ability to be winning races at some point. 

He may continue being a Headache Hotel but don't be shocked when he does put his hand up. He'll be winning races when he does that. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 11:25 AM, Walt said:

In January this year I spent a lot of time reviewing races and trials for our local Nelson meeting. 

A trotter caught my eye in his trials that loudly said to me it had ability. It's the Gavin Smith trained and driven "Heartbreak Hotel". I felt if he trots at Nelson, he wins. Unfortunately on the first day he shit himself at the start. Watching him go around well behind the field on what was an awesome day felt a bit like being served up a plateful of fresh wet dog shit. On the second day I questioned if I should keep the faith. I did and Heartbreak Hotel did an almost carbon copy of what he did on the day one.

I felt he obviously needed to learn how to get around in one piece prior to considering him a winning prospect even if he was racing against a dromedary or two.

I see he's in at Rangiora today in Race 3. He's at $26 fixed odds. I'm not suggesting you punt on him. I wouldn't back him even with stolen money until I know he can hold it together. What I am suggesting however is he's worth throwing in to exotic bets with the knowledge he does have enough ability to be winning races at some point. 

He may continue being a Headache Hotel but don't be shocked when he does put his hand up. He'll be winning races when he does that. 

Crickey walt, gave him up after two starts, one must keep the faith, and at least give him  few more chances, and ya might get your coin back, always risky on trotters early in their career also, or as the song goes, he was all shook up.

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2024 at 6:34 PM, Shad said:

Crickey walt, gave him up after two starts, one must keep the faith, and at least give him  few more chances, and ya might get your coin back, always risky on trotters early in their career also, or as the song goes, he was all shook up.

I'm forgiving Shad but it is frustrating when you know the horse has the ability to win races but is unable to get around without blowing to bits. If he doesn't break badly at the start, he loses it later in the race. 

I'd prefer to see him sorted out at trials before he reappears in races. Looking forward to him showing his ability. 

10 hours ago, Walt said:

I'm forgiving Shad but it is frustrating when you know the horse has the ability to win races but is unable to get around without blowing to bits. If he doesn't break badly at the start, he loses it later in the race. 

I'd prefer to see him sorted out at trials before he reappears in races. Looking forward to him showing his ability. 

Certainly it can be frustrating, remember think the same when taking moa majito on the coast, 12 odd starts and never trotted a trip without a gallop,  in fairness hadn't followed him punting wise throughout his career, but it only takes one start to put things together, but just depends how long it takes for that start to come along,and how deep your pockets are,  the odds must be decent to long for me, but as we know trotters are notoriously hard to follow. 

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Certainly it can be frustrating, remember think the same when taking moa majito on the coast, 12 odd starts and never trotted a trip without a gallop,  in fairness hadn't followed him punting wise throughout his career, but it only takes one start to put things together, but just depends how long it takes for that start to come along,and how deep your pockets are,  the odds must be decent to long for me, but as we know trotters are notoriously hard to follow. 

You got that right Shad.

When I look back at my half century + being a harness racing fan / supporter / participant / punter I can point out without hesitation my all time favourite horse. Lord Module. We all knew his immense ability but he could be an absolute mule on and off the track. He tried to bite my hand and ear off on more than one occasion and watching him start in races was always heart in your mouth stuff. You were about to be taken for a wonderful ride......or have your day written off.

I can remember some wonderfully talented trotters with big motors over the years that gifted you increased anxiety right until the finish line.

My prediction is Heartbreak Hotel will start getting around in one piece and catch punters eyes with some solid runs just behind the first three.....then when he finally wins he'll pay $1.90 :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Certainly has been some boom or bust trotters over the years, I remember Carl Middleton had one going back a while, could break giving big starts, what a loss he was to the trotting game in all forms, cant remember the horses name though, seems to be plenty of them will the ability but putting it together another issue, some of the maiden trot races, you'll seem more breakers than Brighton beach, imagine the frustration for the owners and trainers, they have to cart them home as well, the punter get the better deal on that score. Just a sore pocket

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shad said:

Certainly has been some boom or bust trotters over the years, I remember Carl Middleton had one going back a while, could break giving big starts, what a loss he was to the trotting game in all forms, cant remember the horses name though, seems to be plenty of them will the ability but putting it together another issue, some of the maiden trot races, you'll seem more breakers than Brighton beach, imagine the frustration for the owners and trainers, they have to cart them home as well, the punter get the better deal on that score. Just a sore pocket

I met Carl numerous times. A master with the trotters and a thoroughly good and decent man. Everyone I crossed paths with respected Carl.

His best trotter of course was Fraggle Rock. but a few of his others were Milburn Carolyn, Acapulco, Perilly, Milburn Jubilee, Oslo, Dixie Tryax , Little Rock, Outer Reach , Purple Passion, Butler Billy, Milburn Segil, Westland Sun, Savona, Pink Diamond, Another Love and a host of others. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Walt said:

I met Carl numerous times. A master with the trotters and a thoroughly good and decent man. Everyone I crossed paths with respected Carl.

His best trotter of course was Fraggle Rock. but a few of his others were Milburn Carolyn, Acapulco, Perilly, Milburn Jubilee, Oslo, Dixie Tryax , Little Rock, Outer Reach , Purple Passion, Butler Billy, Milburn Segil, Westland Sun, Savona, Pink Diamond, Another Love and a host of others. 

Think he had the odd 2 year old pacer race as well in the late 70’s and early 80’s as well as Gordon Middleton, who must've been his father?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Think he had the odd 2 year old pacer race as well in the late 70’s and early 80’s as well as Gordon Middleton, who must've been his father?

I can't recall the 2 year old winning pacer Carl trained Brodie but my memory is not what it was. He had a two year old trotter called Damion Carlos who won a two year old trot. 

Lilly The Pink was another of Carl's very good trotters. I wonder if it was her Shad was thinking of giving fields big starts. 

I'm confident you're right in saying Gordon was Carl's father.

Carl sadly succumbed to melanoma

7 minutes ago, Walt said:

I can't recall the 2 year old winning pacer Carl trained Brodie but my memory is not what it was. He had a two year old trotter called Damion Carlos who won a two year old trot. 

Lilly The Pink was another of Carl's very good trotters. I wonder if it was her Shad was thinking of giving fields big starts. 

I'm confident you're right in saying Gordon was Carl's father.

Carl sadly succumbed to melanoma

Maybe it was Gordon Middleton that raced the 2 year olds and Carl only had trotters?

Was Fancy Fred trained by Gordon?

Gordon always had 2 year olds in the first 2 year old races as well as Des Grice!

Carl was known to be a great bloke from what I have heard

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Maybe it was Gordon Middleton that raced the 2 year olds and Carl only had trotters?

Gordon always had 2 year olds in the first 2 year old races as well as Des Grice!

Fancy Fred brings back memories Brodie and yes Gordon trained him. They stood the sire Truant Hanover among others at Milburn Farm.

Carl trained numerous pacers but was best known for his skills with trotters, One of the horses I mentioned earlier "Acapulco" by my old fav Lopez Hanover won a couple of races for Carl as a pacer. I'm sure he had better pacing performers that have slipped my mind. 

There are a few horseman I know of that I've never heard a bad word spoken of them. The great D.G Jones is one, Robin Butt is another and Carl Middleton is also in that same group. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Pretty sure Fancy Matilda raced as a 2 year old filly in the 70's Brodie. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt said:

His best trotter of course was Fraggle Rock. but a few of his others were Milburn Carolyn, Acapulco, Perilly, Milburn Jubilee, Oslo, Dixie Tryax , Little Rock, Outer Reach , Purple Passion, Butler Billy, Milburn Segil, Westland Sun, Savona, Pink Diamond, Another Love and a host of 

He certainly was a master of training and breeding of the square gaiters, and some of his breed are still running around no doubt, very nice list performers you've mentioned, remember feeling sad hearing of his health, and the pending dispersal sale at the time, certainly missed amongst the ranks.

• Like 2