Bit Of A Yarn

‘It’s Been A Rough Couple Of Weeks – But Michael Was Looking Down On Us’

• Journalists

TATTERSALLS IRELAND, Ratoath–With a little help from above, Stephen Byrne of Knockgraffon Stables enjoyed an emotional fillip during a time of unimaginable heartache when selling his Coulsty (Ire) colt for €200,000 just over two weeks after his brother and former jockey Michael died in tragic circumstances.  

The sales ring can be a magical place. Full of dreams and disappointments, but on Friday, Tattersalls Ireland was full of tears. And smiles. Lots of smiles. 

An understandably emotional Byrne said, “It's been a very rough couple of weeks but my brother Michael was looking down on me today.”

Michael enjoyed a successful spell riding in Britain, most notably for Tim Vaughan. His death, at just 36 years of age, rocked the breeze-up industry given he worked closely and was great friends with many of the consignors, and there was a genuine outpouring of emotion and congratulations aimed at the Byrne family following Friday's result.

It was Kevin Ryan, bidding through Brendan Holland, who saw off the attention of Michael O'Callaghan and BBA Ireland's Michael Donohoe, both of whom were very strong on the colt. 

The result represented an outstanding bit of business for Knockgraffon Stables given lot 212 was sourced for just €21,000 at Book 2 of the Goffs Orby Sale. 

Byrne continued, “There were a lot of emotions going through my head just there and I didn't know what to think. It's just massive for everyone involved in the horse–for myself, Colin Bargary and Johnny King [part-owners]. 

“It was Johnny who picked him out at Goffs and I loved the horse from day one. He's been a dream. I have to give a big mention to Shane 'Rancher' Ryan who rides him out at home and to my father Mick as well. It's been a very emotional day.”

Byrne added, “I haven't actually spoken to Dad yet but I am sure he's at home in tears. It's amazing what a horse can do. They bring so much joy to people and this lad has done so much for us today. You wouldn't believe it. They are just wonderful, wonderful animals. It's a bit of a blur to be honest.”

Like a lot of consignors, Byrne admitted to finding the going tough at the sales this year. The Coulsty colt, who clocked one of the fastest times on Thursday, will become all the more memorable for the fact that he put Knockgraffon Stables well ahead in terms of trading for the year. That did not look likely coming into this week.

Byrne explained, “He's after saving my year. I've been just tipping along all year, trading away, but this fella came along and saved the day. He's put a very good look on the year now. But his work at home had been savage. He's been a dream to deal with–he's straightforward and has thrived. He's been a wonderful horse to have and I won't forget this day.”

Byrne added, “The support that we as a family have had at home over the past couple of weeks has been amazing. From neighbours, friends and everything–it's been immense. It's wonderful to have some amazing people around us.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post ‘It’s Been A Rough Couple Of Weeks – But Michael Was Looking Down On Us’ appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article