NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Grimson reckons he can beat Leap To Fame...AGAIN!

He can beat him again': Grimson plotting another Leap To Fame upset

District Attorney has beaten Leap To Fame once and can lower his colours again in the Group 1 Sunshine Sprint on Saturday night. Picture: Stuart McCormick
District Attorney has beaten Leap To Fame once and can lower his colours again in the Group 1 Sunshine Sprint on Saturday night. Picture: Stuart McCormick

By Adam Hamilton

Nobody knows how to beat champion pacer Leap To Fame better than Jason Grimson.

The NSW trainer famously upstaged Leap To Fame with his stable star Swayzee in last year's Blacks A Fake.

More recently, Grimson's new stable addition District Attorney stunned everybody when he came off Leap To Fame's back and ran him down in the Patrons Purse at Redcliffe on June 21.

It was Leap To Fame's only defeat in his past 16 starts.

Grimson is growing in confidence he can cause an upset again in Saturday night's $200,000 Group 1 Sunshine Sprint (1660m) at Albion Park.

While Leap To Fame totally dominates betting at $1.30 in the Sunshine Sprint, Grimson has strength of numbers with four runners – District Attorney, Hector, Nerano and Hi Manameisjeff – in the 10-horse field.

"I really like District Attorney, I think he can beat him again," Grimson said.

"I was a bit disappointed with District Attorney last time, but we led-up on him and he just switched off in front. He's much better than that.

"This time he's drawn to lead early and then sit on the back on Leap To Fame, which suits him ideally.

"That's how he beat him at Redcliffe and I think he's a great chance of doing it again.

"I've got some good chances across a few races on Saturday night, but I think District Attorney is my best chance.

"Don't rule out Nerano, too. He's really dangerous if they go hard and he gets the last shot at them from off the speed."

Grimson also warned not to discount Hi Manameisjeff, who has won seven of eight starts since joining his stable, but will start from outside the back row.

"I think I'll tell Cam (Hart, driver) to punch through from the back row and get straight around outside the leader, which will suit this horse," he said.

Grimson is also a key part of the other big rivalry on Saturday as trainer of boom former Kiwi mare Aardies Express, who has a rematch with Australia's champion mare Ladies In Red in the $150,000 Group 1 Golden Girl.

Aardies Express upset Ladies In Red at their only clash when she came from back in the field to run her down in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Mile at Menangle on May 4.

"She'll be hard to beat again. I know Ladies In Red has a better draw, but my mare is very, very tough," he said.

"I think the race is more open than just the two top mares. I've got Tay Tay and Illavabubbles in it, and Tay Tay is absolutely flying.

"If they go really hard up front, which looks likely, Tay Tay will be the one flying home at the finish."

• Adam Hamilton is a paid contributor writing on harness racing for News Corp

Well weight of numbers can get you wins at times. even Grimson lol.

NZ harness has had good success with it at times. putting a few in a race. Tas harness took it to the extreme for a while 😂. (now permanent limited to 4 from one stable there with new rule)

Tonight the group 1 Sunshine Sprint at Albion Park has 10 runners.

1 x LEAP TO FAME (Larry)    v     5 x  Grimson Allies  v      4 x Ex=pat KIWI's . 

Simply Sam , CantfindabettorMan,  'Turn It Up' and Taipo ( Taipo a last start 1.50 Mile winner but still 35-1 in the market 😆, how fast do you have to go these days ? lol ) They are the old kiwi runners. some are place chances for sure.

Larry should 'carve this lot up' using his Miracle Mile winning form anyway. 

Well he got 2nd, 3rd and 4th But no-where near beating Leap To Fame

Larry jogs it in the Sunshine Sprint. great stuff Grant. 🏆🇦🇺💰🌟🏆

And Grimsons arch NSW rival beat him in the other Group 1 too. Former good NZ mare Aardies Express mowed down by Luke McCarthy with his mare to win the Golden Girl.  Grimson had 3 or 4 in that as well. So just a pair of seconds for the 'Grim Reaper'. 

New Zealand mare Manhattan closing in  late for 3rd which was nice. She just can't quite crack a Big Win. another Group one placing. 

Great news too. !!! Canterbury Trainers David and Stacey White winning the 3 year-old pace easily with the Kennard/Gibbs/Woodham owned /Allstars horse Major Hot for New Zealand . They had bad luck not being able to race Bet N Win  last week with soreness. But could win the Queensland Derby next week , with fellow NZ trainer Nathan Purdon leaving the 'Major' in their care. He is going great guns !!! I think he can do it . 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 9:18 PM, Gammalite said:

But could win the Queensland Derby next week , with fellow NZ trainer Nathan Purdon leaving the 'Major' in their care. He is going great guns !!! I think he can do it . 

Hope you guys got on ok?.

The 'Major' pummelling them tonight in the Queensland Derby in the colours of David and Stacey White . 

What a Win !! paid $12 on TAB here so hope someone is still alive in New Zealand to enjoy it.

Not a lot of posters left here at BOAY anymore? must be too ''cold' in Nz . Harness racing getting the cold shoulder all over the place lol. 😅

Congratulations To MAJOR HOT. (and Nz owners) whatta beauty he is. 

Grant wins the 2 year old slot race in 1.50 mile with Fate Awaits. low flying .

then takes the BlacksAFake Queensland Pacing championship in must be near world record with Leap To Fame by lengths. high flying lol.😅

spose Grimson had good crack at it with 5 horses . 

Swayzee (the Nz Cup winner 2023) proving he is solid with 2nd place again. a clear second and there was about 6 lengths back to 3rd. no wonder NO Kiwi's bothered turning up. 

8 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Can he do it in our back yard Gamma? Going to be exciting to see him go around come November.

Yeah Leap To Fame is better than Swayzee as he proved this year . and has had a standing start too , where he stepped well and won easy . 

At the moment showing $1.50 here for the NZ Cup. (Don't Stop Dreaming $5.00 2nd Fav, Swayzee at $10 which is generous I guess after last years big win

If you have a market for the Nz Derby , Major Hot well worth an investment after impressive wins lately and QLD Derby victory last night. He will be very hard to beat for sure Addington Dec.