NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

More Mile racing coming

From Harnesslink interview with Brad Steele https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/lets-walk-the-talk/

When asked about racing over shorter distances and only from mobiles, Steele says he’s interested in testing the status quo on everything.

“We always need to have an understanding of what impact it’ll have on wagering. I don’t know the numbers around wagering on stand starts versus mobile but what I do know, is I would love to see more mile racing. It’s not possible on every track but I think we do need to have less distance races which may encourage horses to have maybe three starts in a month rather than two.

FFS these guys are on different planet to me with their ways to fix harness racing. 

Your thoughts Brodie? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, With A Dream said:

I like mile racing personally. Especially at Ashburton, Nelson & the bigger tracks in Southland.   Addington is a no go. 

The odd race now and then but if all races turned into mile racing like the states I would give up. The reason I spend at harness racing is the variety of distances plus horses coming from different areas. If it turns into same old horses going round the same distances and 1.40 favourites the game is over for me.

• Champ Post 1

50 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

I like mile racing personally. Especially at Ashburton, Nelson & the bigger tracks in Southland.   Addington is a no go. 

Yeah 1400m at Addington or the much preferred 1980m but never a mile.

Maybe 1750 ish at Ashburton.

7 hours ago, Nowornever said:

From Harnesslink interview with Brad Steele https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/lets-walk-the-talk/

When asked about racing over shorter distances and only from mobiles, Steele says he’s interested in testing the status quo on everything.

“We always need to have an understanding of what impact it’ll have on wagering. I don’t know the numbers around wagering on stand starts versus mobile but what I do know, is I would love to see more mile racing. It’s not possible on every track but I think we do need to have less distance races which may encourage horses to have maybe three starts in a month rather than two.

FFS these guys are on different planet to me with their ways to fix harness racing. 

Your thoughts Brodie? 

Lol Already this Brad Steele is a worry if he is wanting more miles!

I believe that really harness racing is at the crossroads, and I do fear that there does not seem to be too much intelligence from those making decisions!

There are some really dumb decisions being made and at the end if the day if it continues  then Harness racing is gone burger as the punters will just walk!

They need to be encouraging wagering and seriously mile race is just not enticing for punters.

At the end the day, it doesn’t matter what I say whether harness racing survives, it is what HRNZ and the TAB/ Entain does!

Personally I have very little confidence in them being able to make sensible decisions, going on their current form. 

Edited by Brodie

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Lol Already this Brad Steele is a worry if he is wanting more miles!

I believe that really harness racing is at the crossroads, and I do fear that there does not seem to be too much intelligence from those making decisions!

There are some really dumb decisions being made and at the end if the day if it continues  then Harness racing is gone burger as the punters will just walk!

They need to be encouraging wagering and seriously mile race is just not enticing for punters.

At the end the day, it doesn’t matter what I say whether harness racing survives, it is what HRNZ and the TAB/ Entain does!

Personally I have very little confidence in them being able to make sensible decisions, going on their current form. 

Yes my confidence in them is at an all time low as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Yeah 1400m at Addington or the much preferred 1980m but never a mile.

I don’t like the idea of races shorter than a mile. 

16 hours ago, Nowornever said:

The odd race now and then but if all races turned into mile racing like the states

There’s very frw mile races at the moment.  All mile racing will never come in because there are only a few tracks mile racing is suitable for.  I would like to see a few on every card at Ashburton & Nelson & Winton.   I agree one of the strengths of NZ Harness is the variety of distances. 

I’d like to see a mile programmed consistently for the mares each meet, chance to get some black type on the page, though I’d look to be changing that 2m as well(faster) but that’s another argument.

I am even more worried now!

Great that Brad Steele is thinking about how to improve things and having more horses to race, but seriously?

He is thinking about horses not having to qualify??

So we have horses lining up that the punter hasnt seen at the trials?

Is he serious?

So we just line up something that can not run qualifying  time , just for a run so that it can get better?

It will get better with time so lets put it in a race and punters are expected to punt into the race that has a horse that can not run a qualifying time ?

NO!!

Would like to know who this trainer is that was going to scale  down his  numbers and now due to the recent announcements he is going to fill the stable up? 😂 

Actually the end of the  day, if it works then that is great for the industry, but wouldnt be holding your breath.

TAB/Entain, increase your turnover instead of saying you want to!

Let the punters on and for what they want, very simple really!

Edited by Brodie

33 minutes ago, Blackie said:

chance to get some black type on the page

Black type means nothing these days. Every horse can run 1.58 at Ashburton and most of them better than 1:56. The stud book needs an overhaul as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Black type means nothing these days. Every horse can run 1.58 at Ashburton and most of them better than 1:56. The stud book needs an overhaul as well.

I think we’re all agreed on that.  Amazing that it hasn’t happened.