NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Grey Way

pete

Goosebumps material that race.

The Washdyke Wonder developed an aversion to wet tracks like no other horse I have known. A cloudy day, a threat of rain, a shower or two. All over, grey rover.

He was a winner, though, like no other I have known. He would wander about the parade ring, very lazily, head down,  looking as though he would rather eat the grass than get ready to race. But when he went out onto the racetrack Grey Way was transformed. 

In that Easter, Bob Skelton often said it was the horse that got him through the non--existent gaps to get to the post first. His will-to-win was remarkable. A modest fellow, RJ Skelton, but he meant what he said.

Was it 51 all-up?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jape2 said:

Goosebumps material that race.

The Washdyke Wonder developed an aversion to wet tracks like no other horse I have known. A cloudy day, a threat of rain, a shower or two. All over, grey rover.

He was a winner, though, like no other I have known. He would wander about the parade ring, very lazily, head down,  looking as though he would rather eat the grass than get ready to race. But when he went out onto the racetrack Grey Way was transformed. 

In that Easter, Bob Skelton often said it was the horse that got him through the non--existent gaps to get to the post first. His will-to-win was remarkable. A modest fellow, RJ Skelton, but he meant what he said.

Was it 51 all-up?

As a dearly departed friend of mine use to say way back then; if you spat on the ground, that was the end of Grey Way that day.

You don't get many that win 51 races, what an achievement by the washdyke wonder, along with phar lap certainly a lot of history from down their, talking of that, i see a horse called star performance racing today, remember some years ago, the same name of the dam of jonny alone, also from that region, what a smart horse he was, winning the jarden mile at Wellington, from memory another from the deep south, called knight invaded was second or third, could not in anyway put them in the category of the other two, but just jogged my memories from some years ago.Jonny alone i think was by the unfashionable sire blue vermillon.