Bit Of A Yarn

The breeding season

Hey Flash ..I've been pretty keen on Burgundy but things seem to have quietened off a little the last few months for him on the track.  I still like him though and will be interested to see what the new crew at CS set his fee at for 2018. 

I don't take too much notice of the sales prices as I'm not a sales breeder and there is far too much smoke n mirrors in that caper to read a lot into it IMO ...

What are you looking at Flash - and how many mares are you looking to breed this year?

Cheers, J

3 mares in foal, I'll be using my stallion shares on them to keep cost under control, happy with what they have produced so far. I breed for the sales if they are colts, but hold on to fillies as there is little point from what we have experienced.

How about your plans/numbers ?

we have a burgundy kylie brought at the sales a very nice horse too, off to the breakers next week also an el roca we bred a great type will be interested to see how he goes a nice dark bay and also have a little sister on the ground too and shes chestnut not a bit of white on her

Getting an El Roca filly getting broken in at the moment, athletic type, breaker thought that she'd been through a yearling prep and had plenty of handling prior to getting her. He was a little shocked that she was straight out of the paddock, took everything in her stride. Fingers crossed !

Got any photos Sharne?  Do you have an opinion whether those 2 sires are really stamping their progeny?

I know some people put a lot of store by that but I always thought that the Pins horses could come out looking like anything!  Well I couldn't pick them anyway - some would look like pretty ordinary ponies in fact - but his record speaks for itself.

In comparison, I would back myself to more readily pick, say, an Iffraaj horse ....  

Hi Flash - no decisions on sires yet - but hope to be breeding 2 mares this year so the thinking cap is on ... :) 

All the best, J

Certainly a lot of broodmares on gavel these days, some in foal, and some empty, tidy sires some of them to, at the end of the day, i reckon you just need that luck, no matter how well bred they are, or not, be interesting to hear some feed back from people that have purchased stock from the site.

One condition Flash - that you report back to BOAY breeding forum!  Esp in regard to weanlings from newer sires - won't make it there myself but would love to hear opinions about the youngsters from various stallions ... bonus points if you post pictures :)

J.