NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Elarqam, Rajasinghe Straight to Guineas

Undefeated Elarqam (GB) (Frankel {GB}), who won the G3 Tattersalls Somerville S. for Sheikh Hamdan and trainer Mark Johnston will head straight to the G1 QIPCO 2000 Guineas at Newmarket on May 5 and will not have a prep race beforehand.

“We will go straight to the Guineas with him and I am looking forward to it,” said former champion jockey Jim Crowley, who was aboard the 1.6-million gns purchase second up in the Somerville. “Hopefully Elarqam is something to look forward to this year. When you have got that pedigree and price tag there is always going to be a little bit of anticipation of the horse living up to the hype. He is a lovely horse and has got a great temperament. He did what I thought he would do at Newmarket last time out and the form has worked out nicely with winners coming out of it. I’ve hit the crossbar a couple of times in Classic races and now the aim is to win one, but they are never easy.”

G2 Coventry S. winner Rajasinghe (Ire) (Choisir {Aus}) is also going directly to the first Classic of the season at Headquarters. The Rebel Racing colourbearer was unplaced in the GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf behind Mendelssohn (Scat Daddy), but trainer Richard Spencer feels his charge has wintered well.

“The plan all along has been to go straight to the Guineas, with a view of giving him a racecourse gallop two weeks before,” said Spencer. “He has wintered well and looks as good, if not better, than last year. “We are going there with a personal view that I think he will stay the mile. He has obviously got that natural speed a miler needs. The plan is to start off in the Guineas with a view that we can stick to that trip or always bring him back.”

View the full article