Bit Of A Yarn

A Newbie to this site.

mee2

Do you think it would be wise for the  future of Greyhound racing to have your Board adress the number of dogs being born in keeping with the maximum numbers factually that can be rehomed?. As an observer an lover of animals, I see the present problem is greed for the sake of a Dollar rather than common sense and the welfare of these lovely, graceful dogs that are now being abused in a way....Keep on the path you are at present and the smart ones making all the money in time will dissapear and unfortunately take every one down with them... 

• Like 8

Ban all imports, and limit the number of dogs each training license is able to train. Extend dogs racing life by not being able to start racing dogs until two years of age. Then program races for dogs until 7 years of age in age related races. Example, races for 7 year olds, races for 6 year olds, races for 5 year olds. Not saying this would suit every dog, but most would be ok. By starting racing career at two, and finishing at seven, this will give them a five year racing career. Life after racing would be shorter thereby making it easier to keep them in old age. If this concept was adopted, the industry would solve the wastage. At present, dogs start racing far to young, and are burnt out far to early. If I was in charge, I would limit racing per dog to once a week. If they are serious about welfare, then radical changes are needed, and redesigning the grading of Greyhounds to incorporate older dogs is needed.

If a Greyhounds racing life can be extended, then this will go a long way to solving healthy dogs being put down. Maybe a 5% deduction from stake money to be pooled for subsidy to trainers or owners to look after dogs in retirement once they reach 8 years old.

• Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Hard Times said:

People are afraid to stick their neck out.

That there is the start middle and end of the story about why greyhound racing died 

Story for the grandkids

Thank you for replying to my first post Hard Times. I hope this new year will see you keeping safe and well and times a little easier. Just got back from mustering all day in time to collect the kids and help with thier homework and put on the tea. My neihbours say they can't stick their neck out because of some Social Media Policy clause they have to sign or the racing manager wont grant the licences  needed to race. This is a bit silly as these people know what needs to be done and should be allowed to say so. I reported to my manager the  mothers and lambs dying in the ditches and the ones that had fly blown arses that were awful to see and hear the pain they were in. I would hate to be gagged for the sake of these animals and not be allowed to speak up...

7 hours ago, aquaman said:

Ban all imports, and limit the number of dogs each training license is able to train. Extend dogs racing life by not being able to start racing dogs until two years of age. Then program races for dogs until 7 years of age in age related races. Example, races for 7 year olds, races for 6 year olds, races for 5 year olds. Not saying this would suit every dog, but most would be ok. By starting racing career at two, and finishing at seven, this will give them a five year racing career. Life after racing would be shorter thereby making it easier to keep them in old age. If this concept was adopted, the industry would solve the wastage. At present, dogs start racing far to young, and are burnt out far to early. If I was in charge, I would limit racing per dog to once a week. If they are serious about welfare, then radical changes are needed, and redesigning the grading of Greyhounds to incorporate older dogs is needed.

If a Greyhounds racing life can be extended, then this will go a long way to solving healthy dogs being put down. Maybe a 5% deduction from stake money to be pooled for subsidy to trainers or owners to look after dogs in retirement once they reach 8 years old.

Thank you Aquaman, for replying to my first post..you sound like someone who could very well be invited by your board to bring up most of which seem very common sense and caring suggestions.Banning all imports could be a bit drastic tho as most of which my family survives on is made in China and my bible would not be sitting on my beside dresser if Imports had of been banned.. God bless you and I hope this year will see changes for the better for every one and especially those beautiful hounds.

2 hours ago, mee2 said:

Thank you Aquaman, for replying to my first post..you sound like someone who could very well be invited by your board to bring up most of which seem very common sense and caring suggestions.Banning all imports could be a bit drastic tho as most of which my family survives on is made in China and my bible would not be sitting on my beside dresser if Imports had of been banned.. God bless you and I hope this year will see changes for the better for every one and especially those beautiful hounds.

Banning all imports, that is racing stock would not be drastic at all. NZ is, and always has been, perfectly capable of breeding its own stock. I'm sure you mee2 do not rely on importing your sheep from overseas. Bringing in imports only adds to the problem of oversupply. They are not needed as far as wagering on Greyhound racing is concerned. NZ Greyhound racing had a much larger following back in the 70's and 80's when there was virtually no imports. They also had much larger turnovers back then. I know that was a different time, but NZ racing could do very nicely without importing racing dogs to add to an ever growing problem of what to do with the unwanted ones after racing ceases.

• Like 1