NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Baker and Forsman with three shots at a third New Zealand Derby

Chief Stipe

One-time Derby favourite Cutadeel heads the Baker-Forsman stable’s three-pronged attack on tomorrow’s Ellerslie classic.

Murray Baker and Andrew Forsman have won two of the last four editions of the Vodafone New Zealand Derby, and the champion pair have three runners in tomorrow’s $1 million classic at Ellerslie.

Baker and Forsman saddled Mongolian Khan to beat Volkstok’n’barrell in a thrilling two-horse war in 2015, then Vin De Dance triumphed in a head-bobbing finish with Mongolianconqueror 12 months ago.

This year their hopes rest with Cutadeel, Bobby Dee and The Chosen One.

Cutadeel was the $6 favourite for the Derby after winning three in a row, including the 3YO Salver at Listed level. But after a last-start failure in the Gr. 2 Avondale Guineas, he now sits at $16.

“It was a terrible run in the Guineas, we still don’t have a reason for it,” Baker told www.theinformant.co.nz.

“I don’t know if it was because we tried to martial some early speed and go forward in the early stages.

“Whatever the reason was, it was just a bad run. He’s never run like that before. I certainly wouldn’t write him off in the Derby.

“He’s been doing everything right since then. He’s a cruisy little horse and we’re very happy with him. The Dundeels are flying at the moment, they’re going incredibly well, and a lot of his good performers are doing it by coming from off the pace.”

Bobby Dee was a gritty fourth in the Avondale Guineas and is rated a $35 chance.

“He ran well in the Guineas and has trained on nicely,” Baker said. “He’s way out at $35 in the market, so people must think his Guineas run was a fluke. I wouldn’t be so sure of that. He’s by Zed, who’s a a son of Zabeel and Emerald Dream, so I’d be very confident that he’ll see out the trip.”

The Chosen One, a stakes winner in the spring, has been fourth and seventh in the Waikato and Avondale Guineas and sits at $51.

“We’re happy with how he’s doing heading into the race, and he’ll have his chance,” Baker said.

Matt Cameron will ride Cutadeel, with Jonathan Riddell on Bobby Dee and Sam Spratt on The Chosen One.

Baker and Forsman also have three runners in Saturday’s Gr. 3 McKee Family Sunline Vase – a race they won with Mime in 2016 and Eleonora in 2017.

Clementina was a fast-finishing second to race rival elate in the Listed Oaks Prelude last start, while Oratia and Spring Delight are stepping up to stakes class after impressive maiden wins.

Spring Delight (Matt Cameron) is rated a $6 chance, while Clementina (Jason Waddell) is at $7.50 and Oratia (Johnathan Parkes) is $26.

“Clementina’s a good stayer,” Baker said. “Her full-brother Patrician (renamed Live And Free) was a good stayer we had for one start before he was sold.

“We’re happy with Clementina and she’ll be running on strongly at the end of the race.

“The other two won well in maiden races last start and have good staying pedigrees, so I’d expect them to be in with a good chance as well.”

View the full article