NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

All-women trifecta at Forbury Park

Chief Stipe

The ladies had a night out at Forbury Park last Thursday, training and driving the trifecta in the junior drivers’ race.

It was just the third time in New Zealand harness racing’s history that it’s happened, and the first in the South Island.

It previously happened twice at Alexandra Park in 2002 and 2007.

Winton horsewoman Chelsea Faithful trained the winner, Tartan Trilogy, and trained and drove the third horse, Toby O’Gara.

Her good friend, Maruia Parker, drove the winner, while Kim Butt drove the runner-up, Kotare Elite, for trainer Amber Hoffman.

Faithful was understandably happy that the only two horses she has in her work could produce results like that, and to benefit the Teal Pants campaign, which earns $400 for every female-driven winner to ovarian cancer research.

“It’s a great cause for the girls and a real thrill to be part of that achievement with running first, send and third.”

By rights, Tartan Trilogy should probably be retired and, with almost any other trainer, probably would have been a long way from a race track by now.

But Faithful has a soft spot for him and can’t see him going too far from her stable any time soon.

“He’s very much a pet.

“He broke down two years ago – did a suspensory – and he just sort of lived at my stables after that.

“I took him to the odd AMP show, rode him around the station that Maruia Parker lives on and a few other treks.

“Slowly but surely I got him back in to it and eventually he was ready to go back to the trials.”

So, it’s been very much a labour of love for Faithful and a very gratifying win.

“I didn’t think I’d ever get him back running to be fair.

“So, to be competing and then winning, that’s a real bonus.”

She pulled the wrong rein as a driver, but was equally stoked her good friend Parker got the win.

“Tartan Trilogy was actually Maruia’s first race day drive a few years ago.

“It’s funny how these things work out.

“I didn’t mind being beaten by her and Kim – they both mean so much to me.”

Faithful works at Nathan Williamson’s just out of Invercargill, but usually trains her two in Winton first.

“I think my alarm goes off at 5am. When they’re going well it’s not so hard, but it gets tougher in Winter.”

“I left Hamish Hunter’s roughly a year ago and am now full time with Nathan.

“I’m pretty lucky that my Mum will get up and help me with my two, otherwise they wouldn’t get done until the afternoon.”

Faithful also has stock by A Rocknroll Dance and Mach Three to come back in to work.

And the story wouldn’t be complete without a quick mention of Williamson’s stable star, Dark Horse, who has been out injured for over a year.

“She’s due to come back in to work shortly.

“She looks super; hopefully she stays sound.”

View the full article