NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Pinmedown lands another Ellerslie feature

Chief Stipe

Pinmedown has played a starring role on two of Ellerslie’s biggest days of the season, adding the Gr. 3 McKee Family Sunline Vase on Derby day this afternoon to her victory in the Gr. 2 Eight Carat Classic on Boxing Day.

The daughter of Pins burst out of relative anonymity with her Boxing Day performance, scoring a $33 upset victory over a highly rated field.

She started to slip off the radar again over the subsequent two months, despite finding the line well to finish within three and a half lengths of the winner when sixth in the Gr. 2 Royal Stakes and ninth in the Karaka Million 3YO Classic.

Pinmedown’s odds for the Gr. 1 New Zealand Oaks at Trentham later this month had drifted out to $18, but today’s performance has seen her slashed to $6 third favouritism behind Queen Of Diamonds ($3.20) and Imelda Mary ($4).

Awkwardly drawn in gate 12 in a 15-horse field, Pinmedown was brilliantly ridden by Jake Bayliss to reach the rail as the field turned out of the home straight. She settled in seventh place as Misha’s Star set the pace.

Misha’s Star drifted out at the top of the straight, leaving a big gap along the rail. Bayliss needed no second invitation, driving Pinmedown through as chances lined up across the track in the closing stages.

Pinmedown’s finishing burst was too strong, scoring by three-quarters of a length from Clementina and Savy Yong Blonk.

The Mike Moroney and Pam Gerard-trained filly was a $28,000 yearling purchase by Moroney’s brother Paul. She has now won more than $120,000 in prize-money for an excited group of owners.

“We’ve always thought she’s a very good horse,” Gerard said. “She’s been a bit accident-prone and doesn’t always help herself, but she’s also one of the toughest horses I’ve trained.

“A lot of her owners are here and they’re having a ball. That’s what racing’s all about.

“The Oaks is the reason why Paul bought her, and it’s the target we’ve aimed at all the way through. I don’t have any worries about the 2400 metres at Trentham.”

Gerard said it was especially satisfying to receive the trophy from the McKee family, although Trevor was unable attend today due to ill health.

“It’s very special – Trevor’s been an idol of mine and has been so approachable and such a big help to me in my career,” she said.

Today’s Sunline Vase placegetters also shortened in the Oaks market – Clementina from $14 to $12, and the strong-finishing Savy Yong Blonk from $18 to $10.

The biggest disappointment in today’s race was the well-backed Elate. A winner of the Listed Oaks Prelude at her previous start, she was labouring at the top of the straight and was eased down by jockey Troy Harris to finish 30 lengths from the winner. She was found to have suffered atrial fibrillation.

View the full article