NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

So close but so far for Te Akau again

Chief Stipe

Another Vodafone New Zealand Derby, another narrow defeat for the Te Akau Racing team.

Since winning the Ellerslie classic two years ago with Gingernuts, the Te Akau stable has come out on the wrong side of two thrilling photo finishes. Mongolianconqueror was edged out by a nose by Vin De Dance last year, and today In A Twinkling came up a head short of the $105 shock winner Crown Prosecutor.

“It’s the second year in a row that’s happened to us in the Derby,” Te Akau principal David Ellis said. “But he ran a very big race and we’re proud of him.”

In A Twinkling had produced a mammoth performance to run second in the Avondale Guineas two weeks ago, racing wide well back in the field around the first corner before working hard to sit outside the leader.

His performance was full of merit again today, covering significantly more ground than the winner but never giving it away.

Singapore-based Australian jockey Glen Boss, who has now picked up a New Zealand Derby placing to go with his runner-up finish on Booming in an Auckland Cup, was impressed by his mount’s performance.

“He ran well,” he said. “He was a bit slow out and there was a lot of action going into that first turn. I was three-wide for most of the race and I started to edge forward at the half-mile (800m) as he’s that type of horse.

“I felt like I had the winner beaten the whole length of the straight, but he kept fighting back and pulling out a little more, so full credit to him.”

Making the occasion even more special for Te Akau, their retired star Gingernuts led out the field for today’s Derby.

Third-placed Platinum Invador was another of the standout performers among beaten Derby runners. He was last as the field turned for home and had trouble obtaining clear running for the first half of the straight, then roared home to get within a length and three-quarters of the winner.

“He got a long way back and stormed home – huge run,” jockey Chris Johnson said.

Adding even more merit to the performance, the Lisa Latta-trained runner was racing for the third Saturday in a row. Luckless in the Avondale Guineas two weeks ago, he had to win at Otaki last weekend to earn his place in the Derby field.

“It was a super performance,” co-owner Neville McAlister said. “Chris (Johnson) believed he could have got even closer with a better run. He had a lot of work to do turning for home.

“We could look at Australia with this horse, although I’m not sure yet whether it’ll be Sydney or Queensland.”

Arrogant also produced a big performance in finishing fourth, a neck away from third.

“He worked hard from the start and he’s gone a bit keen,” jockey Cameron Lammas said. “Very big run.”

Favourite Surely Sacred was shuffled back near the tail of the field coming down the side of the track. He found the line well to finish fifth, 2.4 lengths from the winner.

“A funny run race,” six-time Derby-winning jockey Vinnie Colgan commented. “He got stuck in behind them and they kept going around. Top run.”

Bobby Dee, Tolemac and Prise De Fer filled the next three placings, with the second favourite Vernanme in ninth.

“It was disappointing on face value,” jockey Jason Waddell said.

View the full article