Bit Of A Yarn

Meehan, Capons Launch Skyline Thoroughbreds

• Journalists

Former Newsells Park Stud Yearling Manager Gerry Meehan and Simon and Dr. Emma Capon have teamed up to launch Skyline Thoroughbreds, a boutique nursery that will raise weanlings and yearlings for the major European sales.

Skyline Thoroughbreds will operate from Glebe Stud in Cheveley, which was purchased by the Capons recently.

Simon Capon said, “Emma and I are delighted that Gerry Meehan has joined us as partner in Skyline Thoroughbreds and we are all very excited about the new venture. We are determined to work hard to prepare yearlings to the highest quality for clients.”

Meehan, who was yearling manager of Newsells for the last 15 years, added, “I am very excited to have been offered the good fortune of becoming a partner of Skyline Thoroughbreds. I’ve always wanted to do this for myself but never had the funding to go out on my own, and this is the perfect opportunity for me. Glebe Stud is an ideal place for a boutique Thoroughbred nursery as it is situated on the edge of a very peaceful village, with plenty of lush pasture to naturally raise yearlings.

“We have a unique business model whereby we will only raise weanlings and yearlings on the stud, and we will also offer yearling preparation for clients who still wish to consign their own yearlings. Simon and Emma are carrying out extensive works to enhance the existing facilities here at Glebe Stud and I am very much looking forward to our inaugural yearling preparation season.”

View the full article