NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Legendary stallion Redoute’s Choice dies

Chief Stipe

Redoute’s Choice, pictured here with John Messara (left) late last year, has been humanely euthanised at Arrowfield Stud.

Breed-shaping Australian stallion Redoute’s Choice has died at the age of 22.

Arrowfield Stud said in a press release this morning that the son of Danehill suffered “a traumatic loss of mobility which could not be restored”, and the decision was made to humanely euthanise him.

“Redoute’s Choice is such a big part of all our lives and right now it’s hard to imagine Arrowfield without him,” Arrowfield’s John Messara said.

“He has given us so much. Arrowfield has been built on his back and he’s allowed all of us and many, many other people to fulfil our dreams and ambitions.

“I thank Muzaffar Yaseen for allowing us to buy into Redoute’s Choice almost two decades ago. Our partnership has always been amicable and it has achieved all that we could hope for, and more.

“I’m grateful to all my team, past and present, who are part of his story, especially those who have cared for and worked with Redoute’s Choice every day, and have ensured that he’s had the long and wonderful life he deserved. There are many tears being shed at Arrowfield today.

“I also thank everyone who helped us launch his stud career, his shareholders, and those who bred to him, and bought, raced, trained and rode his progeny. He has blessed us all.”

Redoute’s Choice won five of his 10 starts on the track, headed by the Gr. 1 Blue Diamond, Manikato Stakes, CF Orr Stakes and a memorable victory in a star-studded Caulfield Guineas.

But it has been at stud that he has made his mark, with Arion Pedigrees statistics crediting him with 1050 winners from 1393 runners.

He has sired 163 individual stakes winners, 34 of them at Group One level including the likes of Miss Finland (Golden Slipper, Thousand Guineas, VRC Oaks, Australian Guineas), five-time Group One-winning champion sprinter Lankan Rupee, and this season’s boom three-year-old colt The Autumn Sun.

His progeny have tasted Group One success in New Zealand through King’s Rose (1000 Guineas) and Redoute’s Dancer (New Zealand Derby), while Abidewithme and Vavasour were multiple Group winners on this side of the Tasman.

Redoute’s Choice is also making his mark as a sire of sires, including the likes of super-sire Snitzel, Not A Single Doubt, Stratum, and New Zealand stallions Nadeem, Burgundy, Coats Choice, Duelled, Fast ‘N’ Famous and Lucky Unicorn.

View the full article