NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Turn It Up! Monday Sermon 8/4/19

Chief Stipe

turnitupsermon.jpg

The Times, They Are A Changing.

There is no hiding from this subject.

Last week’s announcement that The Informant would stop being printed was a shock to those in both horse racing codes.

And, deservedly so.

The paper provides the only consistent form of independent news reporting in the thoroughbred and harness racing codes.

There are a lot of other articles out there, but they are not real news.

They’re mostly fluff, marketing fodder and puff pieces.

They have their place.

But their importance pales in significance to the news The Informant produces.

Strong, independent, objective, fair and balanced reporting that I am proud to be a part of.

Readers of this column may be surprised to see this week’s edition of this column appear.

I am sure you have many, many more pressing questions about The Informant, too.

Last week’s announcement was the staring point of a business process.

It would be totally inappropriate for me to comment on that or wade in with other opinions.

Those announcements will be made by the company’s management when the necessary procedures have been completed.

Me –  I am committed to the job in front of me.

To continue to report the news and uphold the pillars of journalism.

Why? Because I bloody love doing it.

Slip, Sliding Away

Starting procedures have been a hot and contentious topic this season.

Have the start of races ever been such a shambles and a sore point for punters?

I say no, never before.

Winter conditions have arrived, but they did not need to for harness racing to be stuck in the dark.

Consecutive meetings in the South Island saw traction issues with mobile vehicles.

Forbury Park was badly affected, with a number of races having to be started by walk-up.

Some may say bad weather happens, this is part of the being outdoors in the South Island in late autumn and winter.

I could cop that if the industry’s starting technology was up to scratch.

But, it is clearly not.

New Zealand’s fleet of mobile vehicles appear to be out-dated and totally unfit for purpose.

These appear to be dated utes that – and I stand to be corrected – have no four wheel drive capability.

Traction control technology has improved markedly since these old heaps of junk were built.

So, can we get with the times and get a few modern four-wheel drive vehicles.

Sure, they would be expensive, but I am also sure additional turnover from avoiding walk-up starts would offset some of that cost.

And, while we are on this subject.

Can we get these vehicles a set of tyres that have the appropriate grip for winter conditions.

It would be a ten-minute job with an impact wrench to change road tyres to track appropriate tyres when the mobile vehicle got to the course before the meeting.

A Little Rain Never Hurt Anybody

Despite the sloppy track and the wet and cold night, Addington’s huge Easter Cup night produced some brilliant racing.

There were three standout performances for me.

Turn It Up was the equine version of grit and determination when sticking his neck out to win the Easter Cup.

U May Cullect was simply explosive when bursting out of the trail to announce his arrival on the premier scene with a brilliant win.

Like Turn It Up, Speeding Spur dug deep for a brave group 1 victory.

The win should serve as the ultimate redemption after things went wrong for him in Melbourne, earlier this year.

With the end of the horse’s career in sight, it is natural to contemplate where Speeding Spur ranks in trotting history.

Despite his glittering career, he may not crack the list of top-5 all-time greats in terms of accomplishments for many.

But, in terms of braveness and determination, he is the top of the list, as far as I am concerned.

Has there ever been a trotter that has overcome such adversity and still tried so hard?

It would take an awfully courageous horse to top Speeding Spur.

View the full article