Bit Of A Yarn

Smullen: Plenty To Take From Classic Trials

• Journalists

Nine-time Irish champion jockey Pat Smullen has joined the TDN team as our new weekly columnist to bring us invaluable insight on the racing and breeding scene as he continues his recovery from illness.

It was an informative card at Leopardstown on Saturday with a few solid Classic trials. I suppose the main talking horse in the Listed 2000 Guineas Trial was Madhmoon (Ire) (Dawn Approach {Ire}), and even though he was beaten I still think he ran a very good race in second and lost little in defeat. He was giving three pounds to the winner Never No More (Ire) (No Nay Never), and Aidan’s horse had a run under his belt and Ryan Moore just held on to him and he quickened up really well. I think the form of the race could work out very well and Never No More could well end up being a Guineas contender, whether in Ireland, England or France and I don’t think connections of Madhmoon would have lost any faith in him. I thought it was a solid trial and both horses should continue to progress throughout the year and look genuine Guineas candidates.

I was really taken with Lady Kaya (Ire) (Dandy Man {Ire}) in the G3 1000 Guineas Trial. She is a very, very good filly. I rode a lot of winners for Sheila Lavery and her brother John and I am delighted they have such a classy horse on their hands. She is a filly with a lot of pace and she showed that all last year but I was encouraged by the way she went through the line at Leopardstown that a mile could be within her reach. There’s only one Guineas and on the basis of that I think they have to have a go and if she does get the mile she is going to be very competitive. Even if she doesn’t she can always come back in trip but on what I saw last Saturday I’d say their hand is nearly forced to go for the G1 1000 Guineas. Her running style would definitely favour Newmarket and I think the Rowley Mile would give her a better chance of getting the trip rather than the stiff mile at The Curragh, so I imagine that is where they will go. But she is a very talented filly and the Laverys deserve a good horse. They put a lot into the game and it was a brave decision of Sheila’s niece Joanne to hold onto her. There were some big offers for her last year but they were fully vindicated to keep her and she is a very valuable filly now having won a Group 3. It remains to be seen whether she will get a mile and if she doesn’t she will still be very competitive back at sprint distances.

I thought there was a lot to take from Iridessa (Ire) (Ruler Of The World {Ire})’s third-place finish. She had a three-pound penalty and was caught wide the whole way and coming back in trip wouldn’t have been ideal. She just got a bit tired in the last half furlong and she was a filly that I really liked last year. From what I saw on Saturday she is a filly that is going to progress from her first start and while she is entitled to go down the Guineas route, on pedigree she should get even further than a mile and I think she is a very exciting filly for the season.

I enjoyed watching the G3 Ballysax S. as Broome (Ire) (Australia {GB}) is everything I love in a racehorse. I love his running style, he has a lovely relaxed way of racing, slightly behind the bridle and when Ryan put him between two horses he grabbed hold of the bit and ended up winning eight lengths. I loved everything about him on Saturday and while the strength of the race is open to debate visually he could not have been more impressive. We might see him again in the [G3] Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial at Leopardstown next month and I’m sure the Epsom or Irish Derby will be on his agenda. It was also an excellent day for Australia (GB), who in addition sired the opening maiden winner Buckhurst (Ire). I think this could be a very good year for Australia and I think he is a really exciting sire. All the indications from last year were that his stock would progress as 3-year-olds and they needed a bit of time and on the evidence of what we have seen so far I think he’s a stallion that’s going to be hot this year.

Overall I think the performance of the weekend came over in ParisLongchamp on Sunday when Ghaiyyath (Ire) (Dubawi {Ire}) won the [G2] Prix D’Harcourt. I thought it was an unbelievable performance and obviously it struck a chord with me as he was bred by Dermot Weld and I won the G1 Irish 1000 Guineas on his dam Nightime (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}). I know he has always been held in high regard but he won apologizing on Sunday and he should be a formidable opponent in all those top middle- distance races this year. Physically he doesn’t really resemble Nightime; she was a chestnut mare, but they certainly have ability in common and I suppose when you cross a Galileo mare like that with Dubawi you are bound to get something special. If Charlie Appleby gets a clear run with him this year he should be very exciting.

A topic that I don’t particularly wish to speak about is the whip as there has already been plenty of column inches given to it but I feel I have a duty to put forward a few thoughts on the recent implementation of stricter rules. Firstly, I know TDN readers are well educated about racing, but the whip is a tool of a jockey’s profession and a vitally important one. I must say I am concerned about discussions taking place in Santa Anita about restricting the use of the whip in a very measured and controlled way. Since I’ve stopped riding I’ve had a chance to think about things and I actually think the BHA have gotten it right. I know some of my fellow riders may not agree with me and I appreciate that as a practitioner change is often difficult to adapt to, but the limit of seven cracks brought in by the BHA seems about right to me. The IHRB have also come more into line by setting the limit at eight while also allowing the stewards to use common sense in a situation when a jockey has gone over that limit. I think they are very positive moves. If we could get some uniformity in the rules, at least between Ireland, England and France that would be another step forward.

If riders wanted an example of what I think is the best way to ride then they should study Ryan Moore. His use of the whip is excellent and I can’t recall the last time I heard of him getting a ban for excessive or improper use. Ryan uses his body to push and encourage the horse forward and the whip is always the last resort for him and young riders should be advised to model themselves on his style. Another thing I admire about Ryan is whenever he rides in a country that has a more lax approach to whip use he doesn’t waver off his own technique to take advantage of less stringent local rules and I think he is a great role model to younger jockeys. Don’t get me wrong I regularly made the mistake of going for my whip too soon when I was younger but over a period of time I educated myself from watching better riders and I learned that the whip should be the last thing you resort to.

I hope the whole debate settles down and things can continue as they are and that other jurisdictions can fall into line with how we operate here and in the UK. Hopefully it’s a topic we won’t be speaking about for the rest of the year and we can get back to heralding all that is great about racing and the sport’s participants.

View the full article