Bit Of A Yarn

Advertise on Track for Guineas

• Journalists

Trainer Martyn Meade is hoping G1SW Advertise (GB) (Showcasing {GB}), who races for Phoenix Thoroughbred, can rebound from his second to Too Darn Hot (GB) (Dubawi {Ire}) in the G1 Darley Dewhurst S. last fall in the May 4 G1 QIPCO 2000 Guineas at Newmarket. A winner of the G1 Keeneland Phoenix S. at The Curragh in August, the colt was 2 3/4 lengths behind the Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber colourbearer in the Dewhurst.

But Meade has full faith in the son of Showcasing, and said, “I think he has got solid form all the way through last season. In the Dewhurst he was still an immature 2-year-old, so I think he will definitely improve as a 3-year-old–certainly physically. He looks a different horse, and he is our great hope. The Dewhurst was at the end of a long year for us, and in that race we were caught a bit flat-footed. We might not have won, but I wouldn’t have put us nearly three lengths behind.

“We are confident to take on [Too Darn Hot] in the 2000 Guineas, and I’m surprised [Advertise] is as far out in the betting as he is. We are not contemplating giving him a prep race, because we would like to keep him through the season and we don’t want to waste a race. We will start him off in the Guineas, and that is plenty early enough, but we might give him an away day first.

View the full article