Bit Of A Yarn

Messara Receives Longines/IFHA Award

• Journalists

John Messara of Arrowfield Stud received the sixth Longines and IFHA International Award of Merit, which recognises distinguished horsemen and horsewomen for lifelong contributions to Thoroughbred racing, during a ceremony in Sydney, Australia on Apr. 11. Both Longines and the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities sent representatives to Australia to celebrate Messara’s achievements.

Owner and chairman of Arrowfield Stud in New South Wales, Messara launched Australian breed-shaping champion stallions Danehill and his son and grandson, Redoute’s Choice (Aus) and Snitzel (Aus), respectively. Messara was Chairman of Racing New South Wales from Dec. 2011-Dec. 2016, inaugural Chairman of Racing Australia from Jan. 2014-Dec. 26, Vice-Chairman of the Asian Racing Federation from 2014-2016, President of Thoroughbred Breeders Australia from 2007-2008 and inaugural Chairman of Aushorse from 2001-2008. In addition, Messara has received a Life Membership of the Australia Turf Club (2016), the inaugural Heroic Award (2011) from Thoroughbred Breeders NSW, and he was appointed by the Australian governement as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2008.

“I’m very grateful to receive the Longines and IFHA International Award of Merit because it is presented by my international peers, and much of my work over the past four decades has focused on elevating Australian racing and breeding and communicating our success around the world,” said Messara. “I acknowledge especially the unflinching support of my wife, Kris, and our four children; all of my team, past and present, at Arrowfield; the Boards and Executives of Racing New South Wales and Racing Australia; and two excellent Ministers for Racing, the Honourable George Souris AM and the Honourable Troy Grant. I’ve also been blessed by an incomparable dynasty of champion stallions that has shaped my career and the entire Australian Thoroughbred industry over the past 30 years. Danehill, Redoute’s Choice and now Snitzel–thank you.”

“It is a great honour and pleasure to recognise tonight Mr. John Messara’s dedication to Thoroughbred racing, a sport dear to the brand,” said Walter von Känel, president of Longines. “Our commitment to equestrian sports is based on common shared values: tradition, elegance and performance. It perfectly embodies our long-time partnership with the IFHA, of which Longines is the proud official partner and official watch.”

Added IFHA Chairman Louis Romanet, “I have the utmost respect for John Messara, and it is an honour for me to be in Sydney for the presentation of the seventh Longines and IFHA International Award of Merit. He is a very deserving recipient of the prestigious 2019 Longines and IFHA International Award of Merit.”

View the full article